15, 30 and 60 second edits

Home Forums General Questions 15, 30 and 60 second edits

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Logika
    Participant

Art, do your start marker and first note align, or do you leave a slight silence at the start of the cue? Thanks.

#31853 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, do your start marker and first note align, or do you leave a slight silence at the start of the cue? Thanks.

I leave 1/128 of a beat (and I set a marker for it). Really, it’s the smallest increment I can go in my DAW so at least, musically, it’s correct and it keeps the downbeat from getting clipped. I can use that project file, as a template, to load my mixes in to create edits and have everything line up correctly.

#31854 Reply
    Per Boysen
    Participant

My fastest way to come up with shorter versions:
    I’m starting with the full-length version (from bar 2, because a short silence is needed before the first downbeat. In Logic I liked when you could set the cycle range to start at a negative time-line number to render that initial silence, but I don’t think that is possible any more). Then I save as a new project (or “alt version” in the same document, if using Logic), set the cycle/loop range set to 60 seconds and drag the cycle/loop range around the full-length arrangement to quickly find an area that makes sense to start rearranging into a 60 sec version.

#31855 Reply
    Logika
    Participant

Good solution, thank you Art!

I have always started each session at bar 2 for the same reason, but obviously wanted the final cue to line up correctly with the grid without having a full (or even half) measure of silence in order to do so. I was curious as to how much.

Interesting idea for using the cycle range.

#32393 Reply
    Gary Shorey

Couldn’t be happier to have found this thread as this is a focus for me as well.. I posted a thread a few weeks back asking about marketing these, which got some good replies/ info…. but would appreciate being able to continue to discuss all aspects of this(producing as well as getting them shopped around)w/any of the people who’ve posted here-
    [email protected]
    garyshore
    composermusician.com

#35931 Reply
    MattMakaha

My question is sort of answered on page 6 of this thread, but not completely. So you can’t have any silence at all at the beginning of a 30 second edit? I use the ancient Roland VS1680 hard disk recorder, and I just set a marker at the beginning–most times when I burn the final mix to a CD then convert the CD to WAV or mp3, there’s like 0.2 seconds or so of silence at the beginning. Do I have to remove all silence at the beginning of a 30 second track?

#35933 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Do I have to remove all silence at the beginning of a 30 second track?

Ideally I would say yes but in reality most editors would/should know enough to trim the start. Personally I prefer to make as little work for a client as possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
Reply To: 15, 30 and 60 second edits
Your information: