Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Home Forums Share It! Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Good point Desire Inspires, maybe I will make a donation by buying it when it becomes available, depending on the price. Will I manually enter all of my library into a database that I will not use? Heck no

#19115 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Alan, how big is your library?

#19116 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

“Alan, how big is your library?”
    Not very big yet, about 150 titles, 500-ish of you count alts/loops.
    Putting it all into a database would take what, a week? Two?

My library Excel spreadsheet can tell me:
    Title
    duration
    tempo
    Date started
    Date completed
    Total Income generated
    File names/location
    PRO Registration data
    Date submitted to each libraries with accept/reject date
    # of placements by library
    license income and PRO income by library
    link to play file
    link to open a tags/metadata word document
    list of all placements and payouts per PRO statement
    link to master title list (all titles link back to their track sheet) that shows total income, total number of placements, and number of placements per track by library “at a a glance”
    link to master placement list which provides air date, network, episode, duration, track title (that links to track spreadsheet), placed by publisher, tunesat detection
    I also made a cue sheet data sheet I reconcile with my ASCAP cue sheet counter. This is so I can quickly find new cue sheets when they are added.

I’ve developed/tweaked it for over 4 years to fit my needs/wants. It would take a good product for me to abandon it, though I gladly would if I could buy something as good or better.

#19117 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

No need to get heated, gents!

You are both right

Alan, it sounds like you have a great system in place. It sounds like you could add whatever you need to your process and that would be that. No need for my software or anybody else’s.

And Desire Inspires, yes you are definitely correct, no software will do everything. I could add the features that Alan wants and 14 other people could say that they do not need them. You could spend months gathering feedback and constantly adding to the program.

This software started because of my licensing needs. I have over 1,000 tracks and to be honest, I had an excel spreadsheet, but it was getting a little crazy.

I could have spent more time developing more bells and whistles, but wanted to get a firm foundation set for version 1.0.

If this software fits a composer’s needs, then great. If you have a process in place that works for you, then perfect. But we all have to start somewhere and I thing that this software is a great start for composers that need to start tracking their library and may not have the tools or knowledge to do anything on their own.

Keith
    http://www.composercatalog.com
    http://www.facebook.com/composercatalog

#19119 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

If this software fits a composer’s needs, then great. If you have a process in place that works for you, then perfect. But we all have to start somewhere and I thing that this software is a great start for composers that need to start tracking their library and may not have the tools or knowledge to do anything on their own.

Definitely. It is hard work getting started. But now you can add and improve as needed. Congratulations on getting your product to the market.

#19144 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

So sorry if I came across as heated keithl. That was not intended at all. I only wanted to explain to D.I. why the program wasn’t a good replacement for my current system. If/when my library gets to 1000 tracks, my excel spreadsheet will be very difficult to manage, so I really need a good database. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Cheers!

#19155 Reply
    keithl
    Participant

No problem at all, Alan.

I do think that once tracks start piling up and you start signing with multiple publishers, a spreadsheet gets a little tricky.

I’m really excited about this new software and the path I have for it in the future. But first, the Mac version come then end of March!

Keith
    http://www.composercatalog.com
    http://www.facebook.com/composercatalog

#19160 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Hi Alan – Can you tell me how you link audio files to an excel spreadsheet – so that one click plays the audio in your default media player? I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while.

Much appreciated.

#19163 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Right click on a cell
    Choose “hyperlink”
    Choose existing file (or something like that)
    Navigate to the audio file in your browser. Be sure to choose “all file types” because the default is office files only

If you have trouble hit F1 and search hyperlinks

#19164 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Reply #19144 in Composer Catalog – software to keep track of your compositions/songs
Your information: