Copyrighting a collection as Published-good or bad?

Home Forums Copyright Questions Copyrighting a collection as Published-good or bad?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

The Copyright Office had concerns that the tracks were individual and let me know that to be a published collection you have to prove that “all of the tracks must have been first distributed to the public together as a digital album” either digitally or on a CD.

Yes, that is correct. The collection must actually be a collection. Have your “best editions” been accepted?

I’m curious. I know that libraries ask you to aver that you are the copyright owner. Which libraries are actually requiring proof?
    Generally, libraries require that you indemnify them against any allegations of infringement.

#27169 Reply
    mfaith2
    Participant

Yes, they accepted the “best editions”. I also posted the tracks together as an album on Soundcloud but didn’t know if that would be sufficient. The tracks were made to go together so they actually were easily considered a collection.

Interestingly, they sent me 2 different Registration numbers

The first Registration Number, I received 2 weeks ago, has Title of Work: the Album Title and then Content Title: with the name of each of the songs, and then under Author Created: it lists out words, music, performance, sound recording

The second Registration Number, I received yesterday, has just the Title of Work: the Album Title and then under Author Created: sound recording.

I don’t know why they sent a second Registration as I have Copyrighted collections before and only got one document, similar to the first one I received.

#27170 Reply
    mfaith2
    Participant

I’m curious. I know that libraries ask you to aver that you are the copyright owner. Which libraries are actually requiring proof?

I was listening to a series of interviews with owners of Music Libraries that a woman named Sarah Gavin was hosting online several years ago. There was a discussion on one of the interviews, with a panel of libraries, that some had gotten in bad situations with their clients for trusting that all rights were clearly secured by the songwriter/submitter. I am not sure which one said that they had actually started requiring proof. Some of the participants were Ourstage, Music Clout, Workshop Creative, Nimbit, Dangerbird as well as some Ad Agencies.

#27171 Reply
    mfaith2
    Participant

whoops, I tried to do the quote thing in my last post and forgot to close the quote…next time:)

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Copyrighting a collection as Published-good or bad?
Your information: