Question for UK PRS/ASCAP members

Home Forums General Questions Question for UK PRS/ASCAP members

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Music1234
    Participant

Think about it, your music gets played, but somebody else other than you gets paid. How is that even fair?

Happens to me every day of my life on ESPN, BTN, HGTV, Food Network, GAC, Cooking Channel, TLC, Travel Channel and DIY Network.

JP, SK, MIBE (and many others) are all getting paid DIRECT BLANKET LICENSE FEES, none of it trickles back to writers. This is criminal. They are doing this with PRO registered music. In fact, they were the publishers who registered all the music. This transactional activity should not be legal. So Discovery now owns SCRIPPS. I suppose that is where they learned about the “avoid PRO’s” loophole. Read below:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-discovery-scripps-merger-20180306-story.html

Also, Lee…I just can not imagine that music usage in retail stores is profitable for individual writers. The effort may make sense for your company, but I can not imagine any writer being able to make a livable wage from radiosparx plays in retail stores.

I think we all need to advocate for modern music copyright laws being structured so that TV networks can not get away with eliminating cue sheet protocol while avoiding paying annual license fees to PRO’s. Those are the license fees that create a pool of money to pay writers and publishers on the “back end”. The libraries and publishers are just as corrupt and complicit in this “change” .

#34035 Reply
    Advice

Also, Lee…I just can not imagine that music usage in retail stores is profitable for individual writers. The effort may make sense for your company, but I can not imagine any writer being able to make a livable wage from radiosparx plays in retail stores.

I don’t think anyone expects to make a livable wage from Radiosparx plays. It’s an income supplement, just some extra cash for most. There are probably some with a high volume of very contemporary sounding vocal songs that do well, but no, not a “living” if we’re talking 6 figures or even decent 5 figures.

Totally agree with you regarding what libraries like SK, JP, etc do to their writers with Scripps network placements. They use a loophole in the law to make money and not give any of it to the music providers. I also have countless placements picked up on Tunesat that I never make a penny on.

It’s gets stickier with in-store airplay because there, without direct licensing, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to make the extra cash since the PROs don’t handle it well.

#34036 Reply
    AudioSparx
    Participant

Like most parts of the music business, the 20/80 rule applies: 20% of participants are earning 80% of the money and vice versa. The key is to figure out how to be in the 20% group rather than the 80% group. Having a large, diverse, high-quality catalog with both instrumental and vocal music makes all the difference. We are growing but the headwinds are massive.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Question for UK PRS/ASCAP members
Your information: