RMS, dBFS, LUFS and “Loudness”?

Home Forums General Questions RMS, dBFS, LUFS and “Loudness”?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was wondering how folks are measuring the “loudness” levels of their final mixes. One library I’m working with generally wants -8 to -12 RMS, peak -0.3 and LUFS at -11. I find many times the mix sounds just too squashed. Any tips to share?

Great video and article for a fuller explanation of all those acronyms. http://productionadvice.co.uk/lufs-dbfs-rms/

#15453 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#15456 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

As I emerged from the electro world, I use LUFS (averaged on 3 seconds) to assess the loudness. The approximate value I set depends on the style of music. Electro Techno, I aim at around -9,-10, with peaks at -8, it goes with the sound. I might even have bumps at -6 when serious dynamic squashing is part of the artistic approach.

When I need more dynamics (more orchestral, hybrid, rock etc…), I will be happy at -11 / -12 LUFS and can go as low as -18 / -20 for the calm sections or breaks. I keep in mind that the editor, if he wants to thump a non thumpy track, he can, while the reverse is not possible! I do play around though at the final stage and listen to the track when I seriously push the limiter, just to check if it would not sound too awful… just in case…

Actually sometimes I wonder if I should skip or seriously reduce the limiting, as it makes the sound of the music more flexible for the editor to change. However, it might grasp less attention on a first listen… A balance to find…

btw, what does “Bump” mean in the threads?

#15458 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I aim for -12 rms on modern pop/rock stuff seems to be ok balance, -10 rms for music that actually uses hyper compression for the sound. I would think that -12 rms may sound too squashed for some types of acoustic or orchestral music.

The trick is to use the most transparent limiter you can, my go to is the Fabfilter pro L. It is outstanding , you can demo it next to your own go to.

Ian Shepard has some great videos explaining the new average loudness algos used now, and that less compressed music will actually sound louder. There is a great comparison of U2 recordings on his channel and the the way that they are treated on streaming services.

#15511 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

btw, what does “Bump” mean in the threads?

A faux reply to move a topic to the top of the “Recent Replies” column.

#15654 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@ Art,

Good topic. Did you settle on any analysis plugins that you found to be favorites? I am thinking that the plugs I have used for years are perhaps insufficient.

Thanks in advance!

#15658 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve been using Span by Voxengo and Ozone 5. Working for me but sometimes I feel like I can never learn enough!

#15659 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Agreed. Okay, I have similar plugs.

Ozone 5, Nugen Visualizer, Sonalksis Free G

#15662 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I use Izotope’s Insight, which comes with Ozone 5 Advances or Rx3 Advanced.

I still feel like I fight against pushing levels too high. (my personal taste).

#15663 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Voxengo Span is free !!!!! and very good

#15666 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

The trick is to use the most transparent limiter you can, my go to is the Fabfilter pro L. It is outstanding , you can demo it next to your own go to.

+1 on all things Fabfilter! I use Pro L on every track. Pro Q and Saturn are also amazing.

#15671 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

+1 on all things Fabfilter! I use Pro L on every track. Pro Q and Saturn are also amazing.

Absolutely, the multi band is amazing too, very clever stuff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Reply #15663 in RMS, dBFS, LUFS and “Loudness”?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us