Youtube Royalties?

Home Forums General Questions Youtube Royalties?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant

We currently have composers who are selling their music for $49.95 on our site and for much less than $0.99 on iTunes via AS compilation albums. I don’t like that at all but as they say here in Spain ‘es lo que hay’.

The Audiosparx album tracks are sales not licenses are they not ?. Lady Gaga sells tracks for .99 cents on iTunes, am I missing something ?

I have a few tracks on them from years ago, never saw the harm in it TBH.

Doesn’t generate any income anyway, should take them off?

#11728 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I can’t think of any pop star that doesn’t sell songs for $0.99 on iTunes, while commanding more $$ to license the same songs.

One is a consumer sale, as you put it Denis, and the other is a license. Different animals.

Sometimes licensing drive consumer sales…cross promotes the music.

#11736 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

“Sometimes licensing drive consumer sales…cross promotes the music.”

The comparison between Lady Gaga and most of the production music composers on this forum is beyond apples and oranges.

I prefer not to represent composers who sell their production music catalog to consumers for personal use as well. Personal use sales of production music always ends badly. I prefer to work with production music composers who are serious about just doing production music. no “bands” or “stars”.

And if you are going to generate nothing or next to nothing doing it why do it?

#11738 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Just to put a finer point on it.
    The problem comes just from the legal end of things and puts more work on the library owner when issues arise.
    If a consumer finds your music on an RF site and then does a search for that music and finds it for next to nothing on iTunes they can easily buy that version and use it in their youtube video or DVD and claim they have a license. And then you do not have youtube contentID to protect you in that case because you are playing both sides of the fence, and you are doing it for absolutely no profit. I know composers are artists and everything but sometimes the lack of business sense is astounding.
    Real production music composers should take care to protect their music and not put it out there for every tom dick and harry to download for nothing.
    Your catalog is your livelihood, you need to protect it.

#11740 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

If a consumer finds your music on an RF site and then does a search for that music and finds it for next to nothing on iTunes they can easily buy that version and use it in their youtube video or DVD and claim they have a license. And then you do not have youtube contentID to protect you in that case because you are playing both sides of the fence, and you are doing it for absolutely no profit.

This happens to artists on major record labels everyday.

I see tons of videos on YouTube with nothing more than a picture of an artist’s face and a full version of a new song posted. Sometimes there is even a download link in the description. If someone wants to use someone’s music, it will happen.

YouTube Content ID will not protect anyone. Some people get scared by those notices, but others just ignore them. Those that ignore the Content ID warning will leave the video posted on YouTube until it is taken down by YouTube.

#11741 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

youtube contentID allows the artist to earn revenue whether the people get scared or not. they have no choice.

#11742 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Real production music composers should take care to protect their music and not put it out there for every tom dick and harry to download for nothing. Your catalog is your livelihood, you need to protect it.

I totally agree but as to most things in life, there is a learning curve. πŸ˜‰

#11744 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

exactly Art. That’s why these are my preferences and not a business policy. I completely understand that I am working with creative people, not people with MBA degrees. I enjoy working with the former rather than the latter πŸ™‚

#11746 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

The comparison between Lady Gaga and most of the production music composers on this forum is beyond apples and oranges.

I prefer not to represent composers who sell their production music catalog to consumers for personal use as well. Personal use sales of production music always ends badly.

Selling production music to consumers is something that would never occur to me. I think the reverse is what happens most often, i.e., pop stars license their consumer music.

I prefer to work with production music composers who are serious about just doing production music. no “bands” or “stars”.

Sometimes I actually feel the same way about this forum. I wish there was a filter or section just for production music composers, not song writers. I’d like to communicate with production music composers about production music…our craft.

_Michael

#11747 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

The point I was making (badly) was that everyone sells for 99cents on iTunes. LOL

However

I do agree though with Mark, Art and MichaelL’s points on this. The handful of tracks I put on the AS labels have generated virtually no income and in fact one lost license would invalidate any earnings. It seemed a worthwhile idea at the time to see if it generated any further interest.

Thankfully I am cautious by nature and any losses would be minimal, if any at all. You live and learn and it was a pre MLR decision !!!!

As time goes on I have learned hopefully, what production is, and more importantly what it isn’t.

Songwriters and bands who want their catalogue licensed are in different business to me. There is a crossover at times but rarely.

It is important to note that none of my knowledge “real or imagined” would be possible without the contributions, discussions and info on this site. Seriously, kudos to Art for running a tight ship, and his everlasting tolerance.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Youtube Royalties?
Your information: