Any other avenues I may be missing?

Home Forums General Questions Any other avenues I may be missing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay

I’ve done OK with a couple libraries over the past 5 years with around 130 placements..but with most of it coming on the back end it’s not amounting to much.I do mainly indie rock along with moody instrumentals here and there (of course all my songs have instrumental versions).I have a decent sized library with stings,bumpers & alt versions of songs.

The library that has got me the most placements is now asking me to go exclusive after cutting me off from uploading (I have about 150 tracks w/them) but they were just bought out, you probably know who I mean and again it’s all back end so I’m reluctant to go exclusive.I have setup a Youlicense page and have been trying to drive traffic there from Twitter and some indie film sites but haven’t really had much luck..I’ve also spent the last year following Music Supervisors on Twitter and found it only worth following a select few that occasionally post opportunities..I also followed a lot of indie filmmakers but as most of us know they usually try to get music for free or trade for exposure (not interested in that) but I did have a guy pay me to score a short of his a few years ago and I got paid..and yes like most of you I do scoring but I’m not a seasoned production music guy like a lot of you..I work on a very simple/humble 8 track setup and because of that I think I’ve created a bit of a niche..

sorry for being long winded with this but my question is..am I missing any obvious avenues? – not interested in paying for access to opportunities with some companies (I tried that as a newbie) – I’ve just seem to run into a wall as of late but have been writing some real interesting stuff that could probably make me some decent scratch..ANY and ALL advice is appreciated..

thanks..Jay

#23991 Reply
    Paolo

Hey Jay,

ANY and ALL advice is appreciated..

Be careful what you ask for! LOL! But here’s my take:

couple libraries over the past 5 years with around 130 placements…The library that has got me the most placements is now asking me to go exclusive

I f I read your opening sentence correctly, you get 25 to 30 placements a year (130 placements divided by 5 years) and you do this mainly with two libraries.

Also, you mentioned you’re hesitant entering into an exclusive deal even though that particular library supplies you with a majority of your backend income.

Did they disclose the terms of the exclusive deal? Is it perpetuity or for a limited number of years? If you write music quickly enough you could devote say 25-50 tracks for them and do this for a few years (as a test to see what it produces) while also writing for other libraries you hear about here – Royalty Free; other non-exclusives?

#23992 Reply
    Paolo

could devote say 25-50 tracks for them and do this for a few years (as a test to see what it produces)

meant to say:
    devote say 25-50 tracks a year

#24009 Reply
    Jay

Thanks Paolo..that’s worth considering and to clarify i’m with 2 libraries now because I’ve tried being in several and found it to be a waste of time…I pulled my stuff from libraries with no sales..including a few RF libraries in the last year…

#24022 Reply
    BrianDWatson
    Participant

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. Are you just wanting to make supplemental income or are you hoping to make a living off of this? Are you focusing mostly on scoring indie films, or are you down to write reality TV cues?

As far as other avenues, I would just continue submitting to libraries you think might be a good fit and hopefully build relationships with them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Any other avenues I may be missing?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us