Anyone using VirtualSoundStage?

Home Forums General Questions Anyone using VirtualSoundStage?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    patrick
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has been using it and what they thought of it. I just downloaded the demo to check it out.
    Thanks

#18373 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m getting ready to mix a cue with VSS now.

I’m using VSS for positioning, plus Numerical Sound’s Hollywood IRs with Altiverb 7 for tails. I’m also using Numerical’s Hollywood Timbral impulse set for LASS.

Anything specific you want to know?

#18376 Reply
    patrick
    Participant

Nothing specific… just an overall impression of its usefulness and quality. I generally haven’t concerned myself very much with panning and spacing with orchestral mixes, but have been interested in it as of late and am weighing my options. Thanks

#18377 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I would say that it really depends on the kind of orchestral writing that you’re doing, as well as the sample libraries that you’re using.

If you’re suing relatively dry samples, such as LASS, VSL or Sample Modeling, products like VSS and MIR help you create a cohesive traditional orchestral sound by not just panning but positioning instruments on the stage.

But…if you’re doing modern / hybrid type cues that sort of “classic” approach may not as important.

Would I use VSS if I was just writing a typical cue and adding “orchestral” instruments? Probably not.

If, on the other hand, you take orchestral writing fairly seriously, Something like VSS, MIR or SPAT, may be necessary.

VSS is the least expensive, and possibly most user friendly.

#18380 Reply
    patrick
    Participant

Thanks for the info and advice. I think that I will probably end up buying it after I check out the demo some more. It is important to me to create the most realistic orchestral sound possible.

#18381 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

It is important to me to create the most realistic orchestral sound possible.

Then you’re on the right path. Getting a real orchestral sound involves not just panning, but depth. You’ll get that with VSS, MIR or SPAT.

Good luck. Have fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Anyone using VirtualSoundStage?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us