Black Friday Mixing tutorial subscriptions….

Home Forums General Questions Black Friday Mixing tutorial subscriptions….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

While I’ve been following the music licensing, writing and recording my own music for 4 years now ( those that are familiar with me know I have been a musician for much longer then that though), I’m still feeling I am still relative newcomer in that sense at recording /mixing/producing my own tracks. Although I think I am certainly much improved over the course of 4 years, I want to take advantage of some of these black friday deals, but don’t feel the need for any new software instruments at this point.

So I am thinking I am going to do one more year of really cramming and focusing on production skills. Of course I’ll still be writing/uploading during that time. I was wondering , first of all, how much this is really going to benefit me, will the strides I may make are really just a matter of putting the time in, or would it be beneficial to subscribe to one of these services? Is the info I am going to glean get me much further along then what I may find on youtube for free? Or is it more a matter of just putting more hours in and hoping for the best? I’ve done enough reading and free video watching to make the average guys head spin, and run my own home recording Facebook forum (which really means I just share these aforementioned free vids anyway). Thoughts?

Finally, if I am going to go with one, who would you suggest? Pure Mix? Mix Coach? Recording Revolution ?(Graham Cochrane is really so generous with his freebies, I almost want to give something back). Or just save my money, find what I need for free on YT, and benefit from the hours I put in. FWIW, other hen keeping up with maybe some new trends, this is likely the last year I will be digging this deep into this stuff.

#23438 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJzDevrdpVygTa0i3ajd62A

I think this guy does online courses. I just watch his reviews but he does know what he is doing and has a grounding in “old school recording”. It may not be be totally relevant today but lets not forget modern DAWs are built around the mixing desk/inserts/bus/ master fader paradigm.

#23439 Reply
    Paolo

it wasn’t cheap, but I’ve paid studio engineers (whose work I’ve heard and liked) to come to my home studio and work with me on recording and mixing. You just can’t beat watching a professional engineer problem-solve on your equipment!

#23440 Reply
    Paolo

PS – also have invited my guitar tech – who had recorded an up and coming country artist – to stop by my studio and share his suggestions. So I would add inviting other professionals to your studio if you haven’t explored that already.

#23441 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

PAolo, good point. That is definitely worth looking into.

Dennis, I’ve been checking out his free youtube videos. I set up recording templates like a console so is probably how I mix anyway. I would say he is probably on my very short list, competing with the puremix guys at this point. I wasn’t aware he also did paid subscriptions. Thanks for the heads up on that.

#23442 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

So I am thinking I am going to do one more year of really cramming and focusing on production skills… I was wondering , first of all, how much this is really going to benefit me,

I’ve always thought that learning production skills is akin to learning to play an instrument. As a musician, you know what it takes to be good on your instrument, practice! I’m sure at one time in your life you put aside time daily to practice, which really benefited your skills. I believe anyone would benefit the same way from practicing production.

To get to the point of a giving live performance, a musician will practice scales and etc. To get to the point of a creating a final composition, practice production techniques. The techniques you’ve worked out ahead of time will come out later, just like working on fingerings and voicings on your instrument.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Black Friday Mixing tutorial subscriptions….
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us