What has been your best selling genre this past year?

Home Forums General Questions What has been your best selling genre this past year?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    GaryW
    Participant

I’m very interested to know what any of your best selling genres have been this past year. Have you seen any changes? Are you consistently selling the same tracks etc.

#7830 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Depends on the library but the most consistent for me has been Hip Hop, on one particular site, generally just one particular track. Probably not really authentic Hip Hop but has the vibe. MichaelL likes to point out that many clients look for genre “lite” so this would most likely fall into that category.

#7832 Reply
    Jay

I second what Art said..I have a hip hop/funk type track that’s got me like a dozen placements this year…as soon as I find the time i’m going to bang out a few more with that same feel..Jay

#7834 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Mine has been guitar oriented music in general, especially my Surf tracks. Seems to be a pretty big demand for it. Also my sound-alikes, and 60 and 70’s retro things.

#7835 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

Like Gary, I have a retro sounding piece that is doing well this year (a “Bo Diddley” type of groove). On the other side of things I have an African instrumental that is popular.

#7836 Reply
    Gus

I’ve got a simple bluegrass jam I wrote about 3 years ago that’s been getting a lot of play. It’s on 3 different cable shows so far. My Tunsat report shows that it gets played at least twice a day. Anywhere from 6 seconds to 43 seconds.

#7838 Reply
    Sean

For me it’s the guitar based tracks also, mostly classic rock and hard rock.  One in particular that sounds a little like Deep Purple (on “Burn”) has been in several episodes.

#7839 Reply
    Leon
    Participant

For me it has certainly been Rock and Vintage Punk but definitely Guitar Rock

#7840 Reply
    JunL

I’ve been working with production music libraries for years and my well-selling tracks are ambient and ethnic. They are sold more then other genre of tracks and every tracks are sold as royalty free or some bigger license. It seems that there are no tracks yet that are sold for broadcast.

#7841 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Generic, energetic rock guitar-based… Seems like the cable reality shows (which are, of course, the highest quality in TV programming!) always use those.

Maybe next would be world music.

That being said, my catalog is not large and therefore my stats may not be reflective of anything.

Happy Holidays!

😀

#7845 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

Interesting, a little bit of everything it seems!

#7846 Reply
    euca
    Participant

As far as RF sites go, I have a quirky ukulele piece that has done very well. Guitar rock has dominated for me on the broadcast end as well.

The ukulele cue also made it onto a Steve Jobs documentary, I was really happy about that.

#15930 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Can I bump this and ask members the same thing for the first quarter of 2014? Are guitar based instrumentals still doing well? What in general is in demand these days?

#15931 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Depends on what RF site it is but a little of everything with a slant towards guitar.

#15933 Reply
    hoofy

Ethnic is deffo where its at. I have made literally a whole heap of dough this year alone from my contemporary middle eastern bodhran tracks. What I did was add a cutting edge hiphop beat – thus bringing them bang up to 21st century prod values. Ergo…just a mass of doc war usage. I also do chinese and med stuff to which are great as the travel genre is literally massive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: What has been your best selling genre this past year?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us