Why Does A LIB Appear On My PRO Catalog?

Home Forums General Questions Why Does A LIB Appear On My PRO Catalog?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this may be a dumb question but I was wondering why one of my libs appears on my PRO catalog with duplicates of my song titles with their “Code”? I have other libs that don’t do this.

If it’s for retitling purpose, I don’t recall seeing that in my contracts for any other lib.

Thanks,

Daniel

#24702 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sorry if this may be a dumb question but I was wondering why one of my libs appears on my PRO catalog with duplicates of my song titles with their “Code”? I have other libs that don’t do this.

Is this an exclusive or non-exclusive library? If non-exclusive that’s how they make their money. If exclusive then they may just want to make sure there are no conflicts.

#24703 Reply
    guscave

Many non-exclusive libraries will re-title with either a completely different title or they’ll add their own “code” to the original title. It basically the only way they can differentiate between the tracks they have placed against other libraries that have the same songs.

I have a few songs that are signed with 2 or 3 different non-exclusive libraries, and they’re all registered with BMI under different titles or codes. So it’s not uncommon to find one of your songs registered 2 or 3 times with your PRO.

#24704 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

It’s a Non-exclusive and the other Non-exclusives do not appear on my catalog at all.

Yes Guscave. They have the same title but their own code.

#24705 Reply
    guscave

It’s possible the other libraries haven’t gotten around to it or haven’t had any placements. There really isn’t a reason for them to register them unless there’s performance money on the way.

#24706 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Thanks,

I guess every Lib has their own procedures.

Another question. Do libraries that require inst versions, no melody versions, stingers, all of the same song, have to be registered with a PRO. Like even a a 3 second bumber?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Why Does A LIB Appear On My PRO Catalog?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us