How do royalties work for a Film?

Home Forums General Questions How do royalties work for a Film?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant

Hi,

After a few years of landing placements in TV shows I’ve got my first placement in a feature film that’s coming out in May.

I was just curious as to how royalties work in film as opposed to TV? Do cinema plays/DVD sales etc. come into play or is it just when the film finally lands on TV that you earn royalties?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#24183 Reply
    Paolo

First, congrats on the feature film placement.

Royalty-wise, my understanding is that cinema showings in the USA do not earn royalties. But as you wrote, TV airings do.

Someone on the forum who’s knowledgeable about DVD sales and mechanical royalties can speak to that. Did you check – what does your contract state about your mechanicals?

#24185 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I’ve had a couple feature film placements, it’s true, no royalties for domestic performances. So you can expect money for international performances, then Showtime, HBO, Netflix and etc. The amounts paid in royalties are “typical”. At least in my cases, nothing to write home about. So getting a generous up-front fee is a plus.

#24186 Reply
    Paolo

Hey Michael,

I’m curious about DVD sales and royalties – I don’t have experience in that area.

Were mechanical royalties (DVD sales) discussed and offered when you were negotiating? Was there a standard arrangement/percentage you were offered?

Thanks.

#24187 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Thanks for the replies,

I am based in the UK so hopefully the cinemas here may pay some royalties.

Paolo – yes I just had a quick look and the contract waives the right to any mechanical royalties, kind of what I expected.

#24188 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Side issue but I also wondered whether they add you to the credits of the film?

#24189 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Were mechanical royalties (DVD sales) discussed and offered when you were negotiating? Was there a standard arrangement/percentage you were offered?

Film placements were through libraries, so I didn’t do any negotiating. Haven’t seen any money from DVD.

Side issue but I also wondered whether they add you to the credits of the film?

One of the placements did list me in the end credits of the film. The other did not. I’m pretty sure they call being credited a “moral right”. In most library contracts the composer waives moral rights. If they didn’t, just imagine the long list of names at the end of every reality TV show!

#24190 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Ha, yes true, the credits would be longer than the actual show!

Thanks for the reply, very useful 🙂

#24494 Reply
    soundmusicstudio
    Participant

One follow up question re: mechanicals for DVD sales.

Do composers typically get mechanical royalties for DVDs sold? Or is it only the creative fee and writers share royalties if the movie airs on TV?

Thanks!

#24509 Reply
    Sniper22b

No mechanical royalties as I understand it.

In the agreement I signed with my publisher it waives the right to any mechanical royalties.

I think it could be different if your music made it’s way onto the soundtrack of the film, as those terms would be different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: How do royalties work for a Film?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us