How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?

Home Forums General Questions How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    LAwriter
    Participant

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve made more from my last 100 tracks than I have from the previous 2000.

Quality over quantity has proven to be a winner for me.

You write for trailers though right? Or am I mistaken?

A pretty exhaustive study for me has shown a 95% reduction in payout per placement with streaming. Zero doubt TV focused cues are earning less – all things being equal.

Definitely agree about the quality needing to be high.

#39742 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

What’s a hefty tv royalty. Anyone here had one.

My publisher said i should be expecting hefty tv royalties at some point.

I’m still waiting tho for my first ever PRS statement hopefully in July.

#39743 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

You write for trailers though right? Or am I mistaken?

Yeah that’s me, but I still do a lot of library music designed for TV, and make the majority of my income from that stuff used in unscripted shows, sports etc.

#39744 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

What’s a hefty tv royalty. Anyone here had one.

To some that might mean $100 a track per quarter. I aim for at least $500 but I’m also spending 5 – 10 days working on each track.

#39745 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

$500 per “track” is not unusual for me – but that’s spread across dozens (sometimes hundreds) of placements and dozens (hundreds) of plays. So “per play” we’re down in the single to two digit range. Depends on the show, the time of play and OF COURSE – the length and type of play. My show themes obviously pay much more than underscore. And WAY more than 5-12 second underscore placements on streaming shows – which generally pay out between $0.01 and $0.05.

#39746 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Two years for me

#39747 Reply
    soundroad
    Participant

For me it took about 6 years, from 2011 to 2017.
    I had circa 50-60 non-ex tracks to that time.

#39750 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I first uploaded tracks to one music publisher in late 2009 early 2010, then proceeded to upload all of my tracks for about 4 years straight. My PRO royalty checks hit at least $1000 a per distribution by 2012. So two years for me too. Foreign Royalty Checks took until 2013 to hit $1000, But by 2013 most checks were at least $3000 or more.

I’d have to say that it probably does take 2000 titles being published and distributed and ready for editors to access to make a semi livable wage. So come up with your 10 year plan to try and make a livable wage.

Look even if you are making $10,000 a quarter in PRO performance royalties, this is a minimum wage job and your hourly wage (to create the music) is probably something along the lines of $7 per hour. LOL!

This is a make money very slowly kind of business and should really only be treated as a side hustle.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: How long did it take you to reach 4 figure PRO payments?
Your information: