Library Management Software

Home Forums Software Library Management Software

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott Campbell

What are you guys with 200+, or even 100+ cue libraries using to manage your files. Talking meta stuff, notes, file names, nuts and bolts stuff

I onlyhave 25 or so tracks, but can see that I am going to need some sort of system in place as it scales, descriptions, tags, all that stuff

Thanks for any insight!

#7550 Reply
    scottcampbellmusic
    Participant

To clarify, I’m talking composers, not library operators..sorry, don’t know how to edit a post..

#7551 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, please check this link:
    https://musiclibraryreport.com/tag/relational-database/

I’ve been working on my relational database for years. It keeps track of everything. Titles, re-titles, lengths, bpm, writers, contacts, etc and they are all inter-related. It’s humongous but I can pull anything I want out of it into a spreadsheet.

#7555 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I use Numbers for Mac. An Excel clone really.

#7556 Reply
    scottcampbellmusic
    Participant

Art – I’m leaning towards a database solution

woodsdenis – does your spreadsheet get ‘cramped’? Mine’s a disaster!! 🙂

#7561 Reply
    Kenny

I`m using a spreadsheet to. Open Office for mac. Free and you don`t have to be Einstein to understand it 😉 I also have an organized folder where I make a new text document for   each track with various info. Documents here are named after my original Logic Project names, and the spreadsheet keeps track of all re-titles etc.

It actually works pretty well for me, but you do get really good at copy/paste in this business 😉

#7563 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

woodsdenis – does your spreadsheet get ‘cramped’? Mine’s a disaster!! 

I limit each spreadsheet/file to 50 tracks with 10 tracks per sheet. I have tick boxes for companies that I have sent to and are pending etc. I actually print them off and use a pencil for day to day stuff like filling in tempo etc. These sheets only track companies/length/tempo and pro registration. at a glance I can see where any track is placed or submitted

BUT

I have a completely different spreadsheet for descriptions and key words, this is updated on the computer. If you are on a Mac the Chambers thesaurus app is a godsend for keywords.

“It actually works pretty well for me, but you do get really good at copy/paste in this business ”

Ha how true

If I had both together it would be a disaster

#7568 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

I have an open office doc with all tracks contained therein.  It lists all tracks and libraries they are distributed to.  I have categories for Title, Retitle, Filename,  bpm, and whether or not I have registered a track with my p.r.o.   Crazy, but I also have a category for sample clearance and also indemnity.  I use a gray color to denote Exclusive tracks, and a few shades of color for track quality (starting out I had a bunch of weaker tracks, and they are colored differently).

I had thought of creating another spreadsheet for keywords as relate to moods and track intentions.   This might be my 2013 project.

#10456 Reply
    bradymusico

I know this thread is several months old but thought I would chime in here. I had my catalog in numbers on a Mac until I decided to move to an app last Fall. I spent some time customizing a database with Tap Forms HD on my Ipad and they also have an app available for OSX which allows you to sync any changes you make via the mobile app with a macbook or mac pro in the studio using iCloud.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-forms-hd-organizer-secure/id410500116?mt=8

It takes some time to customize your own form but the app is also integrated with dropbox so I have gone and attached a music cue to each record. I only have a couple hundred cues in my catalog so I can’t speak for huge volumes of entries but this has worked VERY well for me so far. It is time consuming initially to set up the lists that you want to be able to choose from for fields like Libraries or Moods etc but you only have to do that once and then it’s as simple as touching your screen to select them in the future.

Feel free to drop me a line if you wanna see some screenshots. Also, in case anyone is interested, here are the fields I have included in my form for each record:

PRO Title:
    Writer(s): (included a dropdown list of cowriters with #IPI)
    Publisher(s): (included dropdown list of pubs to select from w/#IPI)
    ASCAP Work Number:
    ASCAP ISWC Number:

Composed: (date autofill)
    Duration:
    Genre: (30-40 to select from)
    Tempo (BPM):
    Instrumentation:

Moods: (I have about 75 to choose from)
    Styles:

Lyrics: (if applicable)
    Description:
    Keywords:

Music File: (mp3 attached to each entry)

Non-Exclusive: (checkbox)
    Exclusive: (checkbox)

Representation: (dropdowns with each Library I have tracks at to select from…set up so that I can just touch on multiple)

Alternate Titles:

Production Placements On: (List of productions)

Royalties to Date: ($ Amount)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Library Management Software
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us