selling music on amazon, itunes etc?

Home Forums General Questions selling music on amazon, itunes etc?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gdomeier
    Participant

I am thinking of offering some of my music for sale on amazon and itunes. I did a little google searching and found some info, but thought I would pick all your brains here.

Any best practices to use or traps to avoid?

#16597 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I sell my old smooth jazz and new age stuff on Amazon and iTunes through CD Baby, but not my library music.

If you do that be very careful that you do not opt-in to, or make sure that you opt-out of, any youtube Content ID programs, or you may find yourself in conflict with libraries that you are in.

CD Baby does content ID through Rumbelfish. I did not opt-in.

The “tens” of dollars trickle in every once in a while.

#16599 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

Thanks, This would be all new music specifically for electronic sale. None of my library stuff.

#16600 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Thanks, This would be all new music specifically for electronic sale. None of my library stuff.

In that case, CD Baby can handle distribution to numerous digital outlets efficiently. No complaints.

#16602 Reply
    The Dude

Here is a link I found helpful:http://aristake.com/?post=92

iTunes takes 30% off the bat, so you might want to consider a distributor that doesn’t take a percentage (CDBaby takes 9% last I checked). Also, if your distributor pays through Paypal, they might absorb the fees, they might not.

#16603 Reply
    AaronM

I’ve heard good things about these two:
    https://www.amadeamusic.com
    http://www.mondotunes.com

I haven’t tried either one myself thought.

Good luck!

#16604 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Just to add…. I only put old commercial releases on CD Baby to monetize them a little more. I’m no longer involved in being an “artist.”

Without doing all of the other promotional things that you should do like playing live, social media, developing a fan base etc, it’s a marginal source of income.

#16607 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I sell an album of 20+ tracks of mostly trailer and library music through CDBaby. They also distribute to iTunes (where the vast majority of my sales come from) and Amazon. The trailer music sells pretty well, but I put yoga and Christmas albums up on the same account and those only sold once or twice.

As Michael mentioned – definitely OPT OUT of content ID if you’re selling non-exclusive library music to the public, Rumblefish and CDBaby both have their own schemes.

#16611 Reply
    Mark

Here’s a cool article I saw that rates and compares the 7 top music distribution sites

Home

#16615 Reply
    Greg

Thanks again. Do you use your name or a band name/pseudonym for itunes? Did you spend the extra $ for a upc/barcode?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: selling music on amazon, itunes etc?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us