Should I register all my tracks with my PRO given my current situation?

Home Forums General Questions Should I register all my tracks with my PRO given my current situation?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Small_Ocean
    Participant

So while I’m a member of PRS, I never actually registered any of my stock music tracks with them until very recently as at least one of the vendors I sell music on didn’t accept any PRO tracks.

I currently have music in a number of libraries. Are there any major issues I could have with any of these libraries if I registered my tracks with PRS? Does having music flagged as PRO music dis-incentivize potential customers at all?

[Edited by moderator]

#27128 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Are there any major issues I could have with any of these sites if I registered my tracks with PRS?

Not that I would see. I register mine with BMI and are on a number of those sites.

Does having music flagged as PRO music dis-incentivize potential customers at all?

Hard to tell for me as I wouldn’t join a non-pro library.

#27137 Reply
    Small_Ocean
    Participant

Thanks, I have a couple of other questions regarding my PRO that I’m not clear on.

Basically, my issue is that while I’m signed up with ‘PRS’, which handles performance royalties, ‘PRS for music’ also lets you sign up for ‘MCPS’, which handles “mechanical” rights. I’m only signed up with PRS and not MCPS, I’m unsure of I should sign up with MCPS as well (it’s a hefty £100 just to sign up), as I’m unsure which generally handles music played on advertisements and on television (as well as streaming video online). I’m having trouble finding a straightforward answer to this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m also unsure if I should sign up as a “publisher” as well as a writer/composer (which is £400!), or if that’s irrelevant to me (I don’t have a ‘publisher’ that handles things for me, and I sometimes sell my music directly e.g. via YouLicense).

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Should I register all my tracks with my PRO given my current situation?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us