Strings sound

Home Forums Software Strings sound

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    royyarkoni
    Participant

Hi all,
    It had been asked before and I read it all, but I want to get more specific here:
    I work with EWQL, some sounds are fine, I even manage to work with the solo strings.
    I also have cellist and violinist friends that I record when the live sound of solo strings or quartet are crucial, which is of course better then any software.

What I really miss is a great full strings sound. I don’t like EWQL strings ensembles at all (if anyone managed to make them sound great I’ll be happy to know how), I need a better one. Something big, warm and beautiful for the full string layer in a mix, in the range of under 500$ if possible.

So, what would you recommend?
    Cinematic strings 2 ? or maybe Lass lite is a better choice for e.g.? or anything else?

Thanks,
    Roy

#16778 Reply
    AaronM

Cinematic Strings 2 is very big and rich sounding. I purchased it when it was $499 but now I believe it’s $399.

Best of luck!

#16779 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

CS2 or 8Dio Adagietto.

#16782 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

CS2 or 8Dio Adagietto.

+1 for out of the box ease of use and sound,in your price range.

#16785 Reply
    royyarkoni
    Participant

Thanks!
    I think I will go with CS2 cause I prefer keyswitches rather than separate patches.
    And I’m curious to know – what would you recommend if I could double my budget? Buy them both or a different one?

#16788 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I would recommend LASS, because it is capable of a big sound, smaller section sounds, and the first chair solo instruments are good. The ART rhythm tool is very good for Zimmer-like spiccatos.

The ARC system, once you understand it, is great for setting up universal keyswitches, plus adding stage position and color.

If you have good a convolution reverb, you can get a great sound, especially with third party impulse responses, like those from Numerical Sound.

I sometimes layer LASS for Symphobia for a very rich sound.

I also really like Spitfire’s strings, but I don’t think that you can buy all four sections in your budget.

#16790 Reply
    royyarkoni
    Participant

Thanks Michael.
    So after reading your post I guess purchasing Lass lite for the full strings, with the option to upgrade later to the full version ,if ever, could be a better option for me than CS2 to 8dio?
    Or lass lite isn’t good enough comparing to those two, as it is missing many features like the ARC system, and I should get Lass only when thinking of the full version?

#16791 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Here’s a comparison chart:

http://audiobro.com/la-scoring-strings/la-scoring-strings-lite/

LASS lite does not give you the ARC tool, so you cannot set keyswitches. It does n’t give you smaller sections either.

All of these string libraries sound good. It really depends on what kind of string writing you’re going to do. If your not doing a lot of divisi writing, LASS might be overkill. It also requires some work with EQ and reverb to get the sound that you want, because, like Vienna Strings, it’s recorded fairly dry.

If you don’t need multiple mic positions, you could consider EW Hollywood Strings Gold (Diamond if you want to spend more and need multiple mice). But the EW Hollywood series runs best on a PC with SSD drives.

You may want to look at CineStrings, as well. http://cinesamples.com/product/cinestrings-core

This is another contender in the “high-end” bracket. http://www.orchestraltools.com/libraries/berlin_strings.php

As I said, it really depends on the kind of string writing that you want to do. The big issues for strings are 1) legato samples 2) divisi sections, and 3) a high number of articulations

If you don’t really need those things, you don’t need a $1,000 string library.

If you don’t want to do a lot of CC work and you don’t need a ton of articulations 8dio’s adagietto might be the ticket.

Listen to demos for each. See which library has the sound and features that you want.

I chose LASS because I wanted the natural sound of a room full of string players, the can be cinematic when I want it to be, and not when I don’t want it to be.

#16793 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

And I’m curious to know – what would you recommend if I could double my budget? Buy them both or a different one?

Michael has already explained about LASS which is a popular option.

I tend to use Adagietto for sketching then break out all the lines using the full Adagio series. Normally, I’ll also layer the Adagio shorts over the CS2 shorts which gives a rich, full, detailed sound.

Having multiple string libs from different devs usually lets you cover more ground because there will be things you like about each.

Also, I’d suggest any of these string libs will go up another notch if you use a great convolution reverb with them.

#16796 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I tend to use Adagietto for sketching then break out all the lines using the full Adagio series. Normally, I’ll also layer the Adagio shorts over the CS2 shorts which gives a rich, full, detailed sound.

Having multiple string libs from different devs usually lets you cover more ground because there will be things you like about each.

+1

And there’s the rub….at some point manny of us layer multiple string libraries. There isn’t a single solution. Even with LASS, I layer it with Symphobia, sand sometimes Symphobia + EWQLSO.

I’m torn between 8dio and Spitfire.

Like 8dio’s Adagietto, Spitfire Audio has Mural, which is part of its BML series, for which the strings are called Sable http://www.spitfireaudio.com/bml-mural-volume-1.

I really like the sound of the Air Lyndhurst studio. I recently purchased Numerical Sound’s Hollywood Impulse Response collection because it has an Air Lyndhurst emulation. http://numericalsound.com/hollywood_sound_ir.html

It really depends on how you are going to use strings.

#16797 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Yep, definitely depends on what you’re wanting to do. CS2 and Adagietto are both wonderfully cinematic. Adagietto also has a warm, expressive lushness that is a joy to work with. On the other hand LASS is a far drier sound to start with so it’s able to be shaped to a wider range of uses. Mural is a symphonic option. Then there’s Cinestrings CORE, as mentioned. Of course, there’s Hollywood Strings Gold but I think it might be a resource hog compared to the rest.

I don’t think one would go wrong with any of these. After working for awhile with one, you’ll come to grasp its limits then start looking for something to cover other ground.

I have absolutely no regrets with CS2 or Adagietto coming from EWQLSO Gold.

#16802 Reply
    royyarkoni
    Participant

Great, thanks for all the detailed replies, it is very helpful,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Strings sound
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us