To Website or not to Website….that is the question.

Home Forums Online Promoting To Website or not to Website….that is the question.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve just been sending a link to the audio page instead of using SoundCloud, since I removed everything from there last year.

Hey Sean,

I don’t do SC either. What are you using for audio?

#20169 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Have you looked into a dedicated player for your website, like a wimpy player? Are they more secure than sound cloud?

I haven’t, but I probably should. I’ve heard it said that, anything that can be played online is more than likely vulnerable. The downside of having stuff on the web I guess!

And yes, by creds, I also mean any professional musical endeavors.

#20174 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

So much for block quotes! Sorry!

#20176 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Great discussion. I think a website can be useful if done properly. I think it all depends what your end game really is. I don’t think you get away with not having a website if you’re aiming for film or games, or if you’re selling your music and/or services online. If that’s not you, then maybe you could go without a website…or do a simple (and free) “splash” page from Wix (like Sean mentioned above). You could just use a Soundcloud account or Reverbnation or iCompositions, etc too…but then, you’re at the mercy of those media sites (for better or worse).

The big questions to ask yourself would be:

* Why are they coming to my website?

* What are they looking for when they arrive at my website?

* What do you want them to do when they arrive at your website?

* How do they know? (which ties into the previous question).

#20177 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

I’ve had a couple of websites as an individual composer but apart from a few enquiries nothing ever came out of them that I know of. As a library writer, I think it was more about the fun of making them than being of any tangible value. I think a website would be useful if you are aiming at doing scoring of films, games, tv, etc,

However, with my new business venture, I am spending a lot of time on its website because I think it will be important in terms of being perceived as professional. Will it have tangible economic value? Dunno. But again, it’s creatively fulfilling to design a site 🙂

#20179 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

I think it is important to have a website, but a lot depends on your own personal end game. For me, it was very important to have a site because at first I wanted it to be a tool for custom work. I made it myself using webstarts, which was pretty simple. It was all kind of point and click and very little code. As things have evolved over the past 4 years so has the site. I’ve gotten a lot better at coding and designing websites so now it’s a lot more advanced and does a lot more. The main thing is you have to promote, market, and everything else or it will do virtually nothing for you. If that is something you don’t want to do then get a site for the sole purpose of submitting to libraries. Give yourself a little professional credibility that you take this stuff serious. I don’t know if that would make a big difference or not but I know it’s something I look at when people email me. Whether or not they have a custom email, and webpage. If they do I will check out there site and see who I am talking to before I email them back if I don’t know them. I take them more seriously then if it’s just a generic @gmail or whatever without a website.

#20181 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

I have had a website since a few years. I have a music player on it and it seems to have been of the same utility as SC, except it makes you look a little more professional and invested. If someone searches for you, it makes you a little easier to find. For those of you concerned about SC piracy, i usually post private for private auditions. Has anybody had any music stolen through that way ?

#20182 Reply
    guscave

I got a free Soundclick account several years ago as well as a domain name from Godaddy for like $10 a year. I set up the domain name to forward directly to the Soundclick account.

It’s a cheap way to go, but you do get a lot of ads which might take away from the professional look so might be looking at another way of presenting my music soon.

#20183 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for the great input. Really helps. It’s really about ROI, and looking at it, I doubt if having the website per se has brought me any income directly. I think in doing what we do, as many said, it is all about the music. not really about us.

#20184 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

It is pretty simple to create a basic site with a bio and music player on WordPress.com. The site/blog itself is free, and then to get a domain through them it costs about $18 a year. So for $1.50 a month, you can have your own simple website with your own custom domain. Hard to argue with that in terms of ROI.

I use Weebly for my personal site. It costs me about $75 a year and is very easy to use.

One of the bands I play in uses Squarespace. Its about $100 a year and even easier than Weebly to use (in my opinion).

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
Reply To: To Website or not to Website….that is the question.
Your information: