What to enter in ASCAP/BMI for NE production music.

Home Forums Newbie Questions What to enter in ASCAP/BMI for NE production music.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joshrose
    Participant

I’ve heard conflicting things about what to do in ascap with my NE stuff. Some people have told me not to enter anything at all, and that the library will take care of it. I’ve been told most libraries won’t like it if your songs are in your ascap. Others have told me to always enter my songs in ascap.

Some have said to even enter all the retitles myself, and don’t assume the library will do it.

I’m not sure. Any help is appreciated.

#21889 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Don’t enter in anything.

#21890 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I disagree. If you are shopping your music yourself or via RF, I say to register your original titles under your own publishing company.

#21895 Reply
    wilx2
    Participant

CM, one of the better NE libraries, wants to see that you’ve registered a title with your PRO before they will accept it. But that’s just them.

#21900 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

It’s fine to register your works with your PRO under original title and publisher if you are pitching them through NE/RT libraries and/or direct to sup. NE/RT libraries almost always will create another registration with the re-title and themselves as the publisher.

If you are submitting to exclusive libraries, I would not do these registrations since it can be a pain for them to change the registration, especially if they maintain the original title.

All this being said, there is no real advantage to registering your tracks until you have a good reason such as being asked to by that one library mentioned earlier, having a REAL potential placement, etc. PRO’s look back 6 months or more on placements.

HTH 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: What to enter in ASCAP/BMI for NE production music.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us