where do i even begin ?

Home Forums General Questions where do i even begin ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vox7200
    Participant

Hey Gang, new here and new at the Music Library game. Forgive me if these questions are too basic for all you pros. But need some direction.
    Got some positive feedback from a couple of libraries regarding my music.

My background; I’m a multi-instrumentalist and have recorded 4 CD’s. Tired of writing the standard 10-12, 4-5:00 min tunes, taking me forever to complete, marketing the entire CD,etc….. arrrrgggg very aggravating.
    It seems I’m more suited for :30 – 1:00 little ditties. I think I have a nice niche and would like to start turning out some work to at least see if I can make some $$$.

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to prepare these tracks for Music Libraries. I just want to hear from you guys so the road wont be as bumpy.

Is one edit better than another for placement regarding. 1:00, :30, 15, etc…?
    I prefer to stay in the 1:00 range. Can turn out maybe 5-10 songs per week. Is that an option in this world? Just sticking to 1:00 ?
    Is there tagging on Metadata’s that is mandatory ?

Thanks so much all.
    Have an Ice cream headache now, need to lie down :-\

#25738 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I haven’t found one edit to be better than another for placements. Typically, a library track is 1:30- 2:30 in total length and the composer provides timing edits:

15 Seconds
    30 Seconds
    60 Seconds
    Loop
    Sting

Also, create alternate mixes where it makes sense. Drum and bass only is a popular alternate.

#25739 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

On RF sites my 30 second versions sell much more than the 15s or 60s. And yes, DnB (drum and bass) get placed a lot.

#25743 Reply
    Paolo

Is one edit better than another for placement regarding. 1:00, :30, 15, etc…?
    I prefer to stay in the 1:00 range.

+1 to everything Michael stated.

And some libraries will give specific min and max length suggestions/requirements

#25747 Reply
    vox7200
    Participant

How often has a Library come back to you and asked if you have a longer version than the 1:30-2:30 ?

#25764 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Most libraries I work with want at least 2:00, some more. Especially Work For Hire pieces. If you are doing RF or Non-exclusive, you can get away with less time length.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: where do i even begin ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us