Where Do I Register My Music?

Home Forums General Questions Where Do I Register My Music?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jackdc100
    Participant

Hi, I was curious as to where I should register my music before submitting it to music libraries. So far I’ve registered my finished tracks with the US Copyright office, and BMI. Is there anywhere else I should register them domestically or internationally? Also, is there any information that I should have encoded onto the audio before I send it to anyone? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -Jack

#25514 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

So far I’ve registered my finished tracks with the US Copyright office, and BMI. Is there anywhere else I should register them domestically or internationally? Also, is there any information that I should have encoded onto the audio before I send it to anyone?

You should be covered with what you have done so far.

#25515 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

If you’re shopping to exclusive libraries, you won’t want to register with BMI before submitting. Non-exclusive shouldn’t matter as the library will register a re-title with a new name or your title plus an identifying code.

#25518 Reply
    Wall_E
    Participant

If you’re shopping to exclusive libraries, you won’t want to register with BMI before submitting

Could you elaborate a little more on this please Michael? What has author copyright protection to do with the deal exclusivity of a track with a music library?

Thank you! 🙂

#25519 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Registering at BMI isn’t a form of copyright protection. A track is registered in order to define the payment splits for writers and publishers so BMI knows who to pay when distributing royalties. An exclusive library (publisher) will want to handle the registration because they will most likely be taking 100% of the publishing backend. Plus, if you register before getting an exclusive deal and don’t list a publisher, I believe BMI considers the track to be “self-published”. Maybe the splits can be changed later, if you need to, I don’t know, I’m ASCAP. But it would just be an added hassle. So no sense registering tracks destined for exclusive contracts.

#25531 Reply
    jackdc100
    Participant

Ok interesting. I should’ve mentioned that I’m a songwriter who is also releasing much of the material to sell. I apologize for not being more specific. So far I have registered all my finished material with BMI and the US Copyright office because I know you generally want to do that before releasing your music for sale independently. Does that mean that I will not be able to use my music for some/all exclusive libraries? (assuming that I can find one that is interested of course).

#25538 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Does that mean that I will not be able to use my music for some/all exclusive libraries?

You probably could still sign exclusive. The registration could likely be changed to reflect a new publisher. Perhaps a BMI member can chime in here to let you know what it takes, is it easy and etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Where Do I Register My Music?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us