How does the Big 10 network get away with not paying?

Home Forums Commentary How does the Big 10 network get away with not paying?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    LAwriter
    Participant

TRUTH!!

Is that just me being negative and whining?? LOL 🙂 🙂

BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Is that just me being negative and whining?? LOL ? ?

😛 😛

Music1234
    Participant

@Beatslinger and LA Writer, it is true that ASCAP does not want to pay cue sheets for:
    Fox Sports 1
    Fox Sports 2
    NBA TV
    Big Ten Network
    The Golf Channel
    NFL Network
    MLB
    NHL HOCKEY

Instead they want to occasionally “survey” these networks.

BMI does pay off of cue sheets for these networks and they are not just paying pennies. Additionally, this has nothing to do with “negativity”. This is real reporting of what we’re all actually seeing (or not seeing) on statements. The survey method of paying for performances is out dated and completely ridiculous. A cue sheet is a cue sheet and a cue sheet is PROOF of a performance. A performance is supposed to be paid. It’s that plain and simple.

The silly “survey” just gives ASCAP more choice as to how they want to distribute the slush fund. It’s not right. Hey guys, I wrote to Paul Williams about this yesterday and other folks at ASCAP…Are you other ASCAP writers going to step up and do the same?

Art, thankfully your site exists. It is good that all of us can discuss our experiences here and uncover these nuances. Hopefully we can all take action to bring out some policy changes over at ASCAP.

Our PRO’s are not “poison” by any means…they can be little beotches though at times.

Art Munson
    Keymaster

BMI does pay off of cue sheets for these networks and they are not just paying pennies.

True, as I have had placements on just about all of those networks.

Art Munson
    Keymaster

BTW, Paul Williams (ASCAP President) is an old friend as I played guitar for him for a number of years.

I approached him on the survey system a few years ago but he wasn’t very responsive about the situation.

pgbanker
    Participant

@music1234 – where did you get Paul Williams contact info? Even though Art tried a few years ago it seems to me like it is worth five minutes to send the President of ASCAP a note about the issue and remind him that ASCAP is screwing with our ability to earn a living as writers by continuing the antiquated “sample survey” practice!

Art Munson
    Keymaster

where did you get Paul Williams contact info?

If you have an e-mail address I will also contact him and explain to him the main reason I didn’t switch. He was always a great guy to work for so who knows.

Music1234
    Participant

@pgbanker, Go with the senior director of public relations for now. I have e-mailed Paul and others I have spoken with over the years and our voice is being heard. I received an e-mail reply that looks like they are going to take a second look at things. BUT, each voice heard is important so don’t let me be the only guy to do the protesting. The e-mail I got today is a positive step in the right direction. Art, thank you for reaching out to Paul too.

ASCAP, if you are reading this we will not escalate this if you pay for the cue sheets and performances. We understand that this is not Prime Time, ABC, NBC, CBS with large national audiences, but at the same time these programs and TV networks are worth something. You are getting paid by them, so we should be getting paid for the performances that aired.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cathyhnevins/

cnevins@ascap.com

Strat 56

Music 1234. I agree with you about this. I myself am in the middle of a grievance with ascap with non payment from BTN and those other networks. I have an incredible amount of placements that I have not received a single penny over the course of the last 4 years. I’m from Canada and my PRO Socan is helping me with this. They say they may be able to do something about it, I really don’t what they can do because ascap is dug in with their policy. So we shall see and will let you know what happens. And yes, we all have to speak up. I used the ascap contact link you provided and sent a message last night.

Music1234
    Participant

@Strat56, the other angle you can take is to ask SOCAN to reach out to BMI via the reciprocal agreement to collect your performance royalties. I hate to say it but the more we all look into this, the more it simply feels like ASCAP has a different, hidden agenda as to how they want to allocate the revenue they have collected from all these Sports networks mentioned above.

The facts are that all of these sports networks do pay all 3 PRO’s annual license fees to broadcast music from their repetoire. They in turn are supposed to pay us. This really is a black and white situation. There should be no “survey” gray here. We all created music specifically for this kind of content to earn placements into sports programming. Often it’s driving electric guitar rock, or big orchestral football themes, some hip hop too. Then we do not get paid? wtf?

I think Paul Williams and the entire ASCAP leadership needs to watch this video again:

They are doing the exact opposite of what they promise they will do for writers. I am an optimist though. I think they will get this right next quarter.

Strat56

Music1234. Maybe that’s the very thing Socan is doing in regards to your suggestion about BMI. Driving rock, blues rock is what they’re using of mine, I do a whole lot of that. I’ll be sending them my next batch of documents tomorrow and will ask them about the BMI angle.

LAwriter
    Participant

re: the ASCAP vs. BMI thing…..

Yes, no doubt ASCAP is in the business of taking care of themselves before the composers they represent. Unfortunately, for those naive enough to thing that BMI is different, I can assure you it is not. One may come in higher than the other, but it can alsop flip back to the other side. There is zero doubt that BMI has a HIUIUUUUUGE agenda, and unfortunately, it does not include those who write for libraries. Tough luck for us I’m afraid. I’ve had it with BMI, and their veiled agenda’s, lack of truthfulness, and incredibly narcissistic behavior. Then again, ASCAP isn’t looking too good either.

As mentioned many times – the answer to our problems is a library music based PRO that deals only with production music. Until then, feel free to sit at the back of either PRO bus.

LAwriter
    Participant

PS – BMI has tons of cue sheeted placements they don’t want to pay for either. And they don’t. The only difference between ASCAP and BMI? At least ASCAP lets you SEE your cue sheets. With BMI, everything – and I do mean EVERYthing – is hidden behind an impenetrable curtain. Good luck with that….

Vibe Walker

Hey guys, does anybody have Paul Williams email address? I will definitely contact him regarding my issues with them not paying out for these Sports placements as well.

Advice
    Participant

Both ASCAP and BMI have issues, no doubt. BMI pays better for vocal songs (and many times instrumentals too) and many feel more money is worth the lack of cue sheet visibility.

As mentioned many times – the answer to our problems is a library music based PRO that deals only with production music. Until then, feel free to sit at the back of either PRO bus.

Such a thing doesn’t exist. And probably never will. All we can do is keep an eye on our music (tunesat, etc) and keep contacting our PRO if it looks like they are missing something.

In NO way am I minimizing the problem of not getting paid for our work. And yes, we should contact “up the chain” at our PROs to let our voices be heard. But politely and professionally, while still being emphatic is key.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • The topic ‘How does the Big 10 network get away with not paying?’ is closed to new replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us