Composing orchestra music

Home Forums General Questions Composing orchestra music

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jesse shobbrook

Hello all I started recording my music about 3 months ago and recently purchased complete composers 2 which include Hollywood strings gold. I’ve been focusing on piano and string pieces but I feel I’m struggling to get the real power that strings can add to a mix. I understand it takes years to master orchestra music but as I am self-taught at piano and don’t know much of music theory I would like to know if anybody has any tips for mapping out an orchestra piece. atmI Im setting 1 group or violins as the general melody the piano is playing then have the cellos and base playing similar melody but on lower octaves.
    Links to my recent songs witch include strings are below
    My goal is to compose for trailer music as I feel it fits my style the most. So any tip or suggesting on learning the skills needed to get that stage would be brilliant

Art Munson
    Keymaster

Search for “Mark Petrie” here on MLR. You can find some great tips he’s posted.

jesse shobbrook

all i could find is his 3 parts process for making trailer music. witch ill defo put into practice. but couldn’t find any info about composing orchestra on his reply to comments list :/

Nadege Composer

I’m in the same situation (meaning no music education but making some orchestral music). I would suggest to read a lot, I’ve read “the complete guide to film scoring”, it’s pretty interesting. Listen to soundtracks a lot, and because you said you wanted to go for trailers. Watch trailers a lot, listen to the music. Then practice (I just go on youtube, mute the sound and try to work on a music from there). There’s also a little book call ” dictionary of orchestration” that gives you informations about every instruments you can find in an orchestra (the range, etc…). Usually , from what I learned, in orchestra you get 2 or 3 group of violins. One that is doing the main melody and the others in the back with the cellos, double basses. Now the way I do it in my DAW: (I Have east west quantum orchestra) one violin track is doing high note, another medium note (for harmonies), etc… all tracks are a group of violins and not a solo violins… if I do a solo violin, it will do the melody and the rest of the strings will be in the back.

Btw, I like your sounds, I think it would only need to have a better mix so you can hear the strings more. But then, I’m not an expert on this..

Jesse shobbrook

Hi thanks for your reply. I’ll have a look at them books you mentioned
    I’ve recently started learning how to mix from YouTube videos once I learn
    How it’s done i’m re doing all my songs before I send my first tracks out for
    Chrismass.

Sean Clark

Hi Jesse,

I found this tutorial very helpful.

-Sean

Sean Clark

Sorry, the link didn’t show.

A Guide to Producing an Epic Orchestral Track

ChuckMott
    Participant

Was considering picking this up when ready to make the plunge. I don’t have a lot of tracks inn libraries yet, though, and these types of tracks are time consuming, so focusing on getting maybe 150 – 200 tracks in first.

http://www.alexanderpublishing.com/Products/Professional-Orchestration-Vols-1–2A-and-2B–Everything-So-Far-Home-Study-Bundle__AP-ProOrch-EverythingStudyPkg.aspx

MichaelL
    Participant
    jesse shobbrook

thanks for all the reply’s guys ill look at the free info first then see what i can get from that in my compositions.then move onto reading some books.i read online that trying to copy a orchestra piece by ear can help you understand it all so i been trying some lord of the rings song “Concerning Hobbits” which im sure your all agree is one of the most beautiful soundtracks for a movie ever made.. well i think so anyways 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us