Instrumental Versions, Retitled?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Instrumental Versions, Retitled?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eliasedlund
    Participant

Hey all. I just finished my first full length record, and I have all of the tracks mastered without vocals as well. Does each version count as a different track, as far as the PROs are concerned? Or is it simply “Song A (Instrumental)”? I recognize that there is still a copyright inherit in the recording itself, but is there a separate copyright as a composition, considering the track has no lyrics?

Thanks!

-Eli

#18492 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Hey Eli,

First, congratulations on completing your first full length record.

Each version should have a different name with your PRO (BMI) and only needs one name with the copyright office.

For PROs (I’m with BMI) register the original title (ie: “A Great Song”) and then add alternate titles (ie: “A Great Song Instrumental”). This way, when either title shows up on a cue sheet, you’ll get your money.

When using copyright form SR (sound recording) you can copyright the underlying aspects of your songs: composition, performance, arrangement, sound recording of your CD. So that essentially would cover you for any version of that one title (alternate mixes; cut-down versions and instrumental beds). You’ll see this under “Author Created” on the copyright form online.

Paul

#18528 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Just in case you don’t know, you can’t sign either just the instrumental or vocal version exclusively to a library and then sign the other with other libraries. I’ve seen people get this confused. Your exclusivity would apply to all alt mixes unless you have some written exception.

#18529 Reply
    eliasedlund
    Participant

Right, thank you both for your replies. This just confirms what I already assumed.

#22577 Reply
    bjpuddy

Related question:
    Let’s say I have a music bed track used for several different lyrics and melodies – would each song with lyrics just be an “alt” version of the same song, and how would you write that out?

Scenario two:
    Same different lyrics and melodies, plus the arrangement has differences (one has strings, another has rhodes, etc) – Would these be alt or separate songs?

Scenario three:
    5 songs use the same drum track, but have completely different arrangements and orchestrations. Can these be separate releases?

Thank you. I’m a newbie here and appreciate the input!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Instrumental Versions, Retitled?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us