Logic Pro X

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Brian Curtin
    Participant

Apple released Logic Pro X today

http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

#10982 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

FINALLY!…Now to wait for any potential bugs to surface before taking the plunge 🙂

#10984 Reply
    JD

Beware. They have abandoned the use of 32-bit plugins. No bridge. 🙁

#10985 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

JD:
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Also you must have OS 10.8.4 ( Mountain Lion) to use it. I’ll stick to Logic 9 for the time being….

#10986 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

+1 for the Head’s up JD. I’m hoping enough people make a stink about the x32 bridge being discontinued that they offer up something…not holding my breath though. My studio workstation is still on Snow Leopard/Logic 9 – so I think I am probably going to stay there until the kinks are fully ironed out. I have a newer macbook pro that I may use to test out X I think.

#10987 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up on that. Also you must have OS 10.8.4 ( Mountain Lion) to use it. I’ll stick to Logic 9 for the time being….

I think the OS 10.8.4 must be a technical thing. I still use Lion as a lot of issues were kicked up with ML. Not a Logic user but have L9 and would have got L10 but for that.

#10988 Reply
    JD

FWIW, For me, Logic Pro 9.1.8 and ML have been no problem at all on my Macbook Pro. But with LPX, no 32 bit is a deal breaker. Maybe LPX.1 will save the day! 🙂

#10989 Reply
    JD

I have a conspiracy theory that the “plug in lobby” must have a lot of power! It seems that with every new DAW release, there are almost always major problems with plugs. Look at Protools 11! I have read many horror stories about that “upgrade”. A 32 bit bridge in LP seems like a no-brainer to me.

There will come a day when very, very few will take the leap of faith to “upgrade” to the new DAW’s for fear that their recent investments (plugs, instruments, etc.) are just going to be relegated to the bookshelf. I’m pretty much there already.

#10990 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

There will come a day when very, very few will take the leap of faith to “upgrade” to the new DAW’s for fear that their recent investments (plugs, instruments, etc.) are just going to be relegated to the bookshelf. I’m pretty much there already.

Totally agree. I think many of us are pretty much there. We have to spend so much on plug-ins/VIs to even be competitive and to have some of those tools rendered useless….no thanks!

#10991 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

FWIW, For me, Logic Pro 9.1.8 and ML have been no problem at all on my Macbook Pro. But with LPX, no 32 bit is a deal breaker. Maybe LPX.1 will save the day!

Sorry I should have said ML threw up a lot of issues with other music software, Studio One, Live, and Protools especially. If you are on ML and use Logic 9 exclusively and ALL your plugs are 64 bit then its a no brainier really, BUT if not, I would hold on.

#11026 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I can’t really spot the big wow!!
    What do you guys think is the best reason to upgrade from LP 9 to X ?

#11090 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

I downloaded X to my macbook pro today (not my studio workhorse!). Have to say that I am quite impressed so far. Really nice synths and Drummer is pretty amazing. The UI is really clean although it is going to take some time to get used to since they have shuffled things around.

I played with the Logic Remote app for the Ipad as well. Very seamless integration and cool to have a lot of MIDI controller options at your iPad fingertips. I’ve used my iPad as a controller before but only for console automation and native apps. Apple did an amazing job developing the app and extending the functionality of X to take advantage of iPad features. I totally lost track of time for a couple hours!

I won’t make the jump until there is some type of workaround for the x32 plugins but I will probably use Logic X and the ipad when I’m on the go. I wish they had a “compatibility” mode to save in for LP 9…

#11113 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

I saw this today. Thought I would share for those using LP X. I know it’s not the most stable alternative to the x32 problem but better than nothing!

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/how-to-run-32-bit-plug-ins-in-logic-pro-x

#11213 Reply
    Adam

It’s brilliant , the new arpeggator is just amazing , new retro synth is better than almost all other retro synths in my opinion , comes with 40gig of software , new drummer is simply the best in my opinion . It’s bad you can’t use 32bit , I know I will have to bounce out to use logic 9 to master , for the moment I love it because its given me vitality again with new look , really hope third party can make something to make 32bit work again. It cost £139 and for me personally it’s worth it , lots of people are saying its only a small shift but I don’t feel that , it’s great shift , and not so much that I’m hit with such new devices I just don’t know how to work it , like I’m using a new daw, would recommend to anyone , you can still use logic 9 separately , if it would play 32bit I would be over the moon , but I do love the new features , they are just so professional and easy to use , typical apple

#11218 Reply
    el_mono
    Participant

Thanks for the tip regarding the AU Host, thats really interesting Brady.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Logic Pro X
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us