Must Watch Film – Share it

Home Forums Commentary Must Watch Film – Share it

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You can always drop me an email. We could get skype. Just confirmed that I’ll have broadband deep in the woods.

I think with Google video chat you can 10 people at once. There’s a start, the good old days, 21st century version!

#13336 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

You can always drop me an email. We could get skype. Just confirmed that I’ll have broadband deep in the woods.

I think with Google video chat you can have 10 people at once. There’s a start, the good old days, 21st century version!

#13338 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Great idea Art. Now if we can get virtual pizza and take-out Chinese.

#13339 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Great idea Art. Now if we can get virtual pizza and take-out Chinese.

Can I come too !!!!!!

#13340 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Or that vegan sausage dish you came up with. 🙂

#13341 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Can I come too !!!!!!

Sure enough!

#13342 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Back on track.

An old friend of mine, Michael Ruff, tours a lot in Sweden and uses Swedish musicians when there. Same musical vibe as this original thread. He left L.A. many years ago and lives in Hawaii now. If you like great musicianship check out Michael.

Lots of live performances of Michael on YouTube.

#13343 Reply
    aresende
    Participant

Great vibe, Art!

Influenced by brazilian music, for sure. This rhythm is called “Partido Alto”.

#13345 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Or that vegan sausage dish you came up with.

You got it!

#13351 Reply
    More Advice

Very interesting.

#13352 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE.

Technology doesn’t kill things. It changes things.

My late father-in-law was a big band musician. He played in one of the CBS radio orchestras. He used to say that the day the radio station manager came in and fired the band because they were being replaced by records is the day the music business died.

It died for him. But, for people making records it was the start of a whole new world. Now, 60 years later, we’re whining and moaning that technology is killing, or has killed the record / music business.

Technology has done nothing but provide opportunities for me. Moreover, the advent of inexpensive technology has provided many opportunities for people who would normally be shut out of the old business model.

I guess that’s part of the debate here, that the undeserving are crowding the market. I’m sure that’s what my father-in-law thought when three chord rock n’roll replaced the shophisticated harmonic structure of big band swing, and it’s “trained” musicians. But, the fact remains, the transition to records created an entire industry which, like the radio orchestras before it, is changing.

It all moves in cycles. The “record” business, was one big cycle, whose time has come and gone. I’m sure that, like records, current technology will create a new industry for those willing to embrace it.

#13355 Reply
    markholden
    Participant

Your points are well-taken, Michael, not unlike scribes and calligraphers being displaced by the printing press, blacksmiths trying to acclimate to the automobile, or the stenography pool grappling with word processors. History provides countless professional examples.

It’s a paradigm shift as one thing largely replaces another in terms of demand. Some values remain, others are modified, some are virtually lost. It can be as fundamental as ‘adapt or perish.’

Still, I’m not at all keen on hearing a John Williams score produced on a workstation.

– Mark Holden

#13356 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, Mark, our “ears” will be replaced by the ears of those who grew up listening to more and more music produced on workstations.
    By analogy, there are several generations of people now who are completely unfamiliar with food the way our parents and grandparents prepared it. They are more accustomed to a burger at McDonald’s than a hand-formed burger cooked over charcoal on a grill. In fact, they most likely prefer it. So, to the ears of a younger audience, music that isn’t at least “hybrid” probably sounds dated and old fashioned.
    And yes, it comes down to “adapt or perish.”

#13357 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Still, I’m not at all keen on hearing a John Williams score produced on a workstation.

Just as an aside, Mark, have you heard Mike Verta’s virtual spin on Williams’s style? Probably as good as it gets in the VI world.

#13359 Reply
    markholden
    Participant

Yes, I understand. The next logical step, perhaps an eventuality, will be AI software that will fulfill the musical needs of a film & TV producer. Highly scalable, adaptive and affordable. It’ll score a scene 20 different ways in real time and modify from pref windows on the fly.

Will this really be music? It certainly will be if the producers say it’s music and most people accept it as such. Hey, who would stand in the way of progress? On the other hand, it’ll be a de facto chasm for approximately 800 years of Western music. Oh well, c’est la vie! Not really bitter, just nostalgic. I miss musicians!

– Mark Holden

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Must Watch Film – Share it
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us