Anonymous Posting

Home Forums Off Topic Posts Anonymous Posting

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Advice
    Participant

I can’t believe this conversation is even continuing. The guy who runs the site says posting under different names is not allowed. So that one should be over and done.

As far as everything else, MHO is enough already!

Art Munson
    Keymaster

Ha! Good one Advice, love that cartoon. We all need more levity!

fred dimbleby

Hmmm….anonymity. That’s an interesting one. Widen it out and you must see that you can’t have one rule for one and another for everyone else can you? The principle must be applied universally and if you don’t like the principle of anonymity let’s have EVERYONE posting under real names and then have a link to a website or something and have Mr. Art vet everyone.

For example, we have one guy who posts a lot on here, sharing ‘informed’ thoughts on a range of subjects. He is not just an expert in music but other things too, apparently. Which is amazing. I am sure he means well and is probably lovely in person, but isn’t this fount of knowledge posting anonymously? Isn’t it a tad hypocritical for Mr. Art to be anti anonymity when he’s got the forum oracle dispensing ‘knowledge’ left right and center yet no one knows who he is (apart from the ‘lucky’ few)? Let’s hear his music at least! 🙂

So, yeah, anonymity is a tricky one for sure. Speaking more generally, how seriously can you take an anonymous poster? Well, depends what they are saying. I really think it is dangerous to have an anonymous person giving out advice to newbies seeking direction. If you are gonna hold yourself up as forum expert, or wear the ‘been there done that’ T-shirt then fine but let’s see who you are and what you can really do. Prove to us you know what you’re really talking about and that you’re qualified to give offer insights that newbies might listen to and be influenced by. Cos there’s alot of BS in our industry and I suggest people take advice from more proven sources where you know the history/qualifications of the person giving the advice. i.e. on VI Control you generally know who you’re dealing with. Once you have that knowledge, you can better judge the value of what a poster is saying.

By the way, I, myself am truly brilliant, have written 132 film scores, won the Nobel Peace Prize and helped discover the Higgs-Boson during my week long internship at the LHC.

woodsdenis
    Participant

VI Control you generally know who you’re dealing with

Only if they decide to show that, the only difference AFAIK is that you have to register to post there, what you choose to disclose is up to you.

I am a registered member of this forum and VI control and when I post I do so “registered”. That is my choice to do it here, I don’t necessarily have to. It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to work out who I am, thats my choice, I really don’t care, some people do.

The difference here is that it is hybrid of sorts, you can post without registering and view certain parts of the Forum.

As a general internet forum rule , you should probably take no ones advice 100% but judge the quality of their posts and then decide if that info holds some weight. If you decide it doesn’t move on.

Not having to register to post is OK as long as people don’t abuse it and use multiple names, changing names is fine but it seems reasonable to inform other forum users of this so it doesn’t seem deceitful. Also to cut any discussion on that part of this thread its not allowed.

http://www.whylol.com/every-fight-on-the-internet/

MichaelL
    Participant

@Fred.
    There’s an upside to anonymity. It allows people, like you, to be rude, without revealing your own identity. But seriously, in the age of Google and Linkedin, anyone with half a brain can figure out who someone is, a good percentage of the time, just by paying attention to what they’ve said.

That said, if you are referring to me, sorry, you if haven’t paid attention. But you are beating a dead horse that is old news.
    Anyone who has paid attention, not just a “select few” knows my identity. It was made public in a thread a long time ago. I guess you missed class that day.

And, alas, you are too late. My “oracle” advice days are over.
    I’ve relinquished the tile of Oracle and moved on.

As for as the “select few,” on here, or on VI Control, people have contacted me via PM and I respond. I also contact people that I respect, or who need help, via PM.

But hurry, before its too late, I am retiring from forum life. I have to get back to doing all of those things that you think I don’t really do. Taking the time to respond to people like you is waste of valuable time, for which there is no benefit.

If you’d like to know my identity, send me a PM with your identity and a retainer to my account. My advice is no longer free.

Edouardo
    Participant

I don’t think Art meant that participants were obliged to show their identity, but that one should stick to one pseudonym (real or virtual) allowing more constructive discussions…

Advice
    Participant

As a general internet forum rule , you should probably take no ones advice 100% but judge the quality of their posts and then decide if that info holds some weight. If you decide it doesn’t move on.

+1
    Denis
    Thanks for always being a consummate professional. I always appreciate your posts.

🙂 A

Advice
    Participant

I think having a thread “Anonymous Posting” is just asking for more ridiculous, unproductive, unhelpful bickering. But not MY sandbox. If it were my sandbox, I’d delete any post that serves no purpose except to put down someone else. And I’d get rid of THIS thread because the rules have been laid down already. JMHO.

Can’t you (whoever is involved!) just STOP? Is the last word THAT f**king important to you?

Art Munson
    Keymaster

I don’t think Art meant that participants were obliged to show their identity, but that one should stick to one pseudonym (real or virtual) allowing more constructive discussions…

Exactly!

Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Fred, enough of the snarky stuff. I’ve deleted one post and will delete more if you continue.

Art Munson
    Keymaster

And I’d get rid of THIS thread because the rules have been laid down already. JMHO.

Agreed Advice. Thread is now closed!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Anonymous Posting’ is closed to new replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us