Share of publishing in lieu of pay

Home Forums Contracts Share of publishing in lieu of pay

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chicken

Hi there,

I have arranged and edited a load of tracks for a new prod music website for a musician. He owns the website and all the tracks are his own. I have been offered 15% of the publisher’s share for the 50 or so initial tracks that are currently on the site – but not on any future works that are added. The tracks are registered as 50% writer and 50% publisher (the musician being the writer and he owns his own publishing company just for his own work). He says I can put something in writing if I want to reflect the deal, which I’m trying to do – but I’m more of a tech head and not getting very far 🙂 The cost of a lawyer is out of the question. All I really want to make sure of is that the deal still stands with regards to any foreign sub publishers, retitling of tracks, the library being swallowed up by a bigger library or if he decides to take any of the tracks off the site and use them for something else or anything else that may apply, as best I can. Any thoughts.

Thanks 🙂

#13608 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I would have thought that if you are a member of a PRO, making your percentage a part of the writers share would be easier and less hassle.

I know its different in the States, over here you can just assign a percentage of the total (7.5 % in your) case as an arranger for example.

#13611 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

I agree with Denis. The best and cleanest way to do this would be to be a co-writer for some percentage of the Writer’s share. I would think the *minimum* reasonably fair deal for you would be to split the Writer’s share with him. That would give you 25% of the total pie and him 75%.

The (what amounts to) 7.5% share he offered you is way too small IMHO. You’d make pretty much nothing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Share of publishing in lieu of pay
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us