Software Sample Choices

Home Forums Software Software Sample Choices

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    AaronM

I could really use some advice about what software samples purchase. I’m in need of some high quality strings particularly and I’m considering Cinematic Strings 2 because it sounds good and it’s in my price range but I’m open as well. The problem is, everything I run into that sounds decent (like Cinematic Strings) requires Kontakt which apparently times out after 15 minutes if I’m not mistaken or you have to purchase that as well. Is that right? Either way, I use Reason 7 for midi and from what I understand, they don’t work together unless you have mac. I’ve considered trying mac but then half of my plugins are not supported. Any ideas???

Thanks a lot!

#14731 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@AaronM. The search function here on MLR is the first place to go to. Try this thread:

Sample Library Suggestions

#14790 Reply
    AaronM

Thanks Art!

#14795 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

bump

#14843 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Buy Kontakt. It is worth it.

#14846 Reply
    AaronM

Maybe I should. Are the instruments it comes with any good?

#14847 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

A lot of Kontakt libraries do NOT require the full version of Kontakt.

Cinematic strings 2 for example uses the Kontakt player, which is free. The full version of Kontakt is required for libraries that don’t use the NI encryption and authorization.

You are nearly better getting a Komplete package which includes the full Kontakt plus loads of other VIs than the Standalone version.

Komplete is 499 euro
    Kontakt is 399 euro

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-9/pricing/

#14848 Reply
    AaronM

Hmm.. that’s something to consider. I already have plenty of nice drums, synths, guitars, bass etc. but it looks like it comes with strings and pianos as well. Strings I NEED and I’m always a push over for more pianos. Too bad it doesn’t have brass, winds or more orchestra in general. Those are what I really need to update.

Thanks a lot for insight!

#14854 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Seems people use the synths a lot in Komplete . Scarbee electric keys are (or were?) considered by many to be the amongst the best electric pianos on the market. Kontakt is a standard, and Guitar rig (along with amplitube) seems to be the standard guitar amp sims. Considering a future purchase which would include EW Complete Composers, and Komplete. Those 2 together would give you about everything you need. Samplemodeling has great horns from what I hear. I own the Spectrasonics stuff and would recommend it and probably Zebra. Any other VI’s would be situation specific, but if you can swing these, can’t imagine you would need much else as far as your bread and butter sounds. (Maybe Spectrasonics, if you have the others, would not be necessary). My 2 cents based on a couple years of extensive research. If you have a fat wallet, the 8dio stuff is stunning.

#14856 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I might be wrong about this , but it is just a thought… Komplete 9 Ultimate was out last year around March… NI releases a new version every 12-18 months, so that would be Komplete 10 Ultimate that will include all the new stuff packages that they released since (quite awesome stuff it appears). For the same price. And possibly a slashed price for Komplete 9 Ultimate after the release.

#14862 Reply
    bradymusico
    Participant

I would echo what others have said about considering Komplete to get you rolling, since it is a good bang for your buck…

If you really want to get into Orchestral Writing (which it sounds like you do), having Kontakt is going to be a must. Regarding CS2, I think it depends on the types of projects you are working on and the realism you need to convey in your mockups. If the strings aren’t as exposed in the mixes, you might be fine with CS2. I have used CS2 but don’t particularly like the sound as much as others (hope noone jumps on me for that!). This is very subjective territory though, and has been argued on many a forum! Personally, my optimal blend of strings combines LASS and 8Dios Libs and occasionally Spitfire Audio’s stuff (all require Kontakt btw). Yes, you pay dearly for these Libraries but you won’t regret it and neither will your music.

Wait for the right sales (especially around the holidays!) to load up on what you need. I should also mention that I have EWQL’s Hollywood Strings and several other EW libs just sitting on a shelf…Play is just too slow and buggy for my preferences.

Good luck! – B

#14871 Reply
    AaronM

Thank you very much for the insight here guys. I’ve been looking over these recommendations and I think it’s pretty clear that I’m at least going to need the full version of kontakt at some point if not Komplete for all of the extras as well. And it looks like Kontakt will work well with Reaper too, which is where I do most of my mixing.

While I really enjoy working in orchestral genres, trying to get by with less than perfect samples has been an editing night mirror at times. It will be nice to upgrade!

The good thing about pop and piano-rock like genres is that some nice mics and about a $1000 worth of gear can do the trick in some cases!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Software Sample Choices
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us