Sound libraries used in RF libraries

Home Forums General Questions Sound libraries used in RF libraries

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    GaryW
    Participant

I have used loops and construction kits mostly for World Music. Indian, Middle-Eastern etc.  Most of what I do it is “homegrown”. Guitar, Bass,, Keyboard etc. I do use drum loops occasionally to get a feel that I can’t do myself ( finger drumming on a MIDI keyboard) or a better more realistic drum sound.

#8244 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Many times I view loops as another “player” in the room and shape them to fit what I need, somewhat like producing a real player. Other times a loop will give me an idea for something I can play myself. They are just tools to me.

#8246 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Gotta be very careful with “construction kit” type loops. Big Fish, as I recall, won’t let you use them for library music without permission because somebody “abused” the concept and didn’t layer.

Art, I think “another player in the room” is about right.  The danger is when loops go from being another color on the palette to “paint by numbers.”  I really just comes down to whether or not you’re a pro, and can use the available tools with any depth.

#8248 Reply
    Del Smyth

Sample CDs and loops are for those with no creativity. Sure, use them if you want your music to sound like every other wannabe composer! I don’t use them myself, which might explain why my music is incredibly popular! 🙂

It is worth going that extra mile. Just whacking loops together ain’t skilful. My gran could get some construction kit loops and stick them together and make a song. What’s good about that?

Del

#8249 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

It is worth going that extra mile. Just whacking loops together ain’t skilful. My gran could get some construction kit loops and stick them together and make a song. What’s good about that?

If you and your gran can convincingly finger-drum the “Purdie shuffle” or straight ahead jazz at 160 bpm (and you have the luxury of time to do so), God bless and sign up for the next season of “America’s Got Talent.”

If I can achieve with samples the SAME thing that I would put onto paper, or with the talents of a world class session player (like Bernard Purdie), why not?…especially if it saves, time and money, which makes being in this business cost effective.

#8250 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sample CDs and loops are for those with no creativity.

I beg to differ and that statement is quite a leap. It’s all in how you use them AND your creativity. You could say the same about automobiles. They all have the same basic components but with vastly different results.

#8256 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

Must admit that I use preplayed midifiles for a lot of my drums, and I actually don`t mind. There are some really good options out there and I know very few people who can actually finger play midi drums that good with the swing/groove and the ghost`s that makes a good drum track.Especially the ghost notes makes all the difference for me. Not saying that this is impossible, but it sure takes a lot of skills and time. Off course these things can be midi drawn pretty good, but playing them on a midi keyboard or drum pad is a bit above my skills.

#8258 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Loops and phrases can be very useful tools. It’s how you use them that matters. But stitching together an entire piece out of only loops and phrases? I’ve done it in the past but I quickly figured out there’s no long-term payoff with that approach.

Like Art and MichaelL say, shaping them and producing them are one thing but a “paint by numbers” approach won’t make you stand out or improve the value of your music long-term.

#8259 Reply
    #tag

Thanks for all the inputs.

As I said my question wasn’t spurred by aestethic or ethical reasons. I too prefer something new, fresh and custom made than using a commercial loop that has been used hundred times before.

But I’m observing a shift in music (or perhaps it’s a landslide) where music is already a commodity, and I wont delude myself thinking that by submitting tracks for low prices to RF libraires I’m not contributing to the banalization of commercial music.

Few years ago I’m sure musicians would be up in arms against drum loops, but now using a drum loop is perfectly acceptable. Especially since some exceptional recording artists have elevated sampling to an art form.

So I’m wondering if we’re heading the same direction with the other elements of a music composition and the art and the workmanship  will be in assembling those blocks in an effective and pleasing way.

#8260 Reply
    Mark Lewis

So I’m wondering if we’re heading the same direction with the other elements of a music composition and the art and the workmanship  will be in assembling those blocks in an effective and pleasing way.

What you are describing is basically Garageband and no I don’t think music composition is going the way of Garageband. Most self respecting composers don’t use music construction kits straight out of the box. I can’t imagine it becoming a major problem but maybe it is?

Few years ago I’m sure musicians would be up in arms against drum loops

Composers have been using drum loops and samples for decades. Why would they have suddenly become up in arms a few years ago?

#8261 Reply
    Anon

Guys, may I suggest ignoring Del Smyth, since he/she is clearly winding you up. In most of his/her other posts, it’s the same deal. Trolling two point oh.

As for loops and samples, as long as you remain within the license agreement, do what you like, and if it’s good it’ll sell and that’s pretty much all there is to it. There are top library composers who use loops, and there are bottom library composers who use loops. One does very well, the other doesn’t. I think the difference is how they use the loops.

#8266 Reply
    #tag

Mark there’s a lot more stuff out there than Garageband and I don’t like it more than you do… ‘few years’ was a bit too generic perhaps, but I guess you got my point. ‘Some’ years ago a self respecting composer would have considered it a capital crime not to write on a scoresheet… things change

Another fact that comes to mind is that some younger composers/producer, find it a second nature to create in a building blocks way. There are traces already to be found on small imprints. Perhaps they’ll show us something interesting.

Again, I’m just observing and trying to understand, not passing judgement on anything or anyone here…

#8267 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/s900.php

Looping has been around since tape could be spliced together. Loops as we know it probably entered the mainstream with the S900 in 1986, hardly a new phenomenon.

I use loops for loads of things and like Art I view it as an extra tool or player in the room.

I think the “Construction Kit ” stuff is a completely different ball game, they seem to be complete tracks first and sold as wav files for the individual elements. Very weird, and as MichaelL says be very careful with them as the EULA usually precludes any kind of library use. Maybe the market they aim at is to “remix” them and impress your friends, for non commercial use.

As an aside, most of  the Bee Gees disco tracks circa “Staying Alive” was a Multitrack drum loop which was slowed up and down for each song. They did actually record it themselves with a real drummer who was credited. He got loads of gigs following this as the timing was so tight !!! He finally fessed up recently.He was of course a very good drummer to begin with they just wanted that metronomic feel, nothing wrong with that say I. How many million records did that sell?

#8268 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@ #tag, perhaps I can help you “understand.”  I have been a professional composer for, it hurts to say this, 36 years. For the first 10 years of my career I wrote everything on a scoresheet. I even had scoresheets printed with my logo!  In the mid 19080’s, when samplers came out, I started to follow the technology. I could produce more, because I didn’t have to hire as many people, except for guitars and soloists. But…nothing changed about the process of writing. 

To the contrary, I had to expand my skills. In order to play a convincing trumpet part, or flute part, whatever, you had to “think” like a trumpet player or flute player. etc. In the days before “round robins,”  with the Siedlaczek orchestra for example, you had trumpet staccato one and trumpet staccato two. To make the lines sound real I played the line with a trumpet player’s phrasing, then split every other note to different midi channels, so that I could use both articulations, creating my own “round robin.”

Libraries like Symphobia and Orchestral String Runs, allow me to quickly compose and record cues. Whether or not I write a two octave E flat major string run down on paper, before I record it, is irrelevant. Two octaves of an E flat scale is two octaves of an E flat scale, no matter what. The difference between my playing it and using the “loop” from Orchestral String Runs, is the the OTR loop sounds authentic. The same thing can be said of the aleatoric FX in Symphobia. Those FX / devices are by nature left to chance. The loops in Symphobia and the like are far more effective than anything that I could play.

Very often, when I’m writing, I open up the notation window to analyze the structure of what I’m writing. I still use scorepaper to visualize certain voicings and voice leading. When I use drum loops or percussion loops it’s a similar thought process. But, instead of telling the drummer what to play, I choose what the drummer plays.

If you think that any of this is an easy task, that some how cheats or diminishes the compositional process, I think you are mistaken. People work at their own level of competence. Yes, some of these tools provide a way for less competent individuals to cut and paste cues together. But for, as you put it, “self-respecting” composers these tools provide infinite possibilities.

It sounds to me, like you haven’t worked with available technology enough to know how deep, complex, varied, and creative it can be.

But don’t take my word for it. Here’s what James Horner has to say (btw has has a PhD)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvwUBNg-X8&feature=related

But…let’s be realistic. Media music is not always, in fact almost never is, high art. It is music the serves a function. As such, 9 times out of 10 writers paint stylistically, with very broad brush strokes.

Moreover, you must consider genre. Improvisational jazz was never written down.  Hip hop and electronica developed out of sequencing technology, linn drums and Roland 808’s, and analog synths.

I will agree that there’s a lot of poorly written / produced music in some royalty free libraries, because there aren’t enough gate-keepers, like Mark Lewis. But, as with samples, I think you need to dig a little more deeply, and generalize a little less. There’s some very good music in RF libraries too.

With all due respect, maybe you need to listen with an open mind.

All the best,

_Michael

#8269 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Just an “editors note”  when I refer to “electronica” above , I mean dance-based, not ambient electronica. e.g. Music for Airports by Brian Eno.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Sound libraries used in RF libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us