Trailer Cue Length

Home Forums General Questions Trailer Cue Length

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sean Clark

Lately I am focusing on cues with an epic orchestral sound for trailers, video games, film, etc… Hoping to submit these to some of the higher end libraries when I feel they are ready.

I have several questions on this topic but I will ask just one to start. Specifically trailer cues, is there a set accepted length they should be that libraries are looking for?

#10661 Reply
    Sean Clark

Ok, at one of the big libraries I see that most are under 2 minutes, some being 1:30 or so.
    Several of mine are about 2:30, will they be critical about these being too long if I try to submit this way? Just want to make sure and not waste my time or theirs.

#10663 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I would listen to the cues at the bigger, exclusive libraries and compare my music to those cues.

#10664 Reply
    Sean Clark

@Desire Inspires

It seems to vary between 1:00 and 1:45 but I haven’t seen too many over 2 minutes. I will look at some more of them. Thanks a lot for you input.

I know it seems like an obvious question, I was just wondering if there was a specific standard.

#10665 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Honestly, I do not know. I do not create that type of music. I have tried, but I do not have that skill set. I have listened to a lot of that music at exclusive libraries. The people who create that sort of music and do it well definitely have a gift.

I would love to hear some of your music if you do not mind sharing.

#10667 Reply
    Sean Clark

I don’t normally write this type either. Mostly guitar based rock, country, blues, etc.. but along the way I’ve been trying to develop this.
    Like I said before, lol, when I feel they are ready…I will submit. Still have some work to go IMO.

It was not my intention in this thread, but I have no problem posting my link: http://www.soundcloud.com/seanclark
    The first three are the works in question, right after that it’s country rock.

#10668 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Hi Sean,

There’s no standard and sometimes different libraries have their own preference. But you’re pretty safe in the 1:30-2:30 range. Even longer is fine as long as there’s no fill or waffle – I haven’t listened to your link so that remark isn’t directed at you as such. 😀 But I wouldn’t go much shorter than 1:30 unless specifically requested.

#10669 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Yes, I think 1:40-2:30 is the best range to go for. No less then 1:30 for sure as Rob said.

#10670 Reply
    Sean Clark

I haven’t listened to your link so that remark isn’t directed at you as such.

Hi Rob,

Any criticism from you would be a compliment. I’ve heard your music and it’s absolutely great!

Thanks very much for your input.

#10671 Reply
    Sean Clark

Yes, I think 1:40-2:30 is the best range to go for

@MusicPro

Cool, thanks! That’s good info.

#10672 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

While most trailer tracks are 1:40 – 2:30, I don’t think length is particularly important to getting licensed in trailers (libraries might insist on a minimum length though). Some of my most licensed tracks are less than 1:30. Anything over 2:30 is probably a waste – trailers don’t run longer than that.

What matters most is that you have a solid 3 act structure:

Act 1 the brooding beginning for when the audience knows nothing about what the movie is or what’s about.
    Act 2 being the part where things start to ramp up and we learn what the conflict is, but the music is still usually underneath dialog.
    Act 3 is the ‘balls to the wall’ fortissimo last 15-30 seconds that gives the trailer its climax, where the music is often out in front with no dialog on top.

The hardest part to produce by far is the 3rd act – it requires coming up with thematic and production material that is strong enough carry from a small beginning to explode out in all its glory. It tests a composer’s skills in arranging, production and mixing to the extreme.

A unique and evocative opening 1st act and a well produced, exciting and original 2nd act might get licensed on their own, so those are still important. However, those are the ‘easy’ bits…very few composers can produce a solid kick-ass 3rd act and ending. Get that part right and you’ll be invaluable to trailer libraries and editors.

FWIW I’ve been doing trailer music for 7+ years, and I’ve still got miles to go, every day learning new ways to improve my 3rd act production and composition.

#10673 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Thanks for the great info Mark. I thought the 3 acts was usually made up from several different cues and not just one unless custom composed?

#10675 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I thought the 3 acts was usually made up from several different cues and not just one unless custom composed?

You’ll find that most trailer music companies want a composer to give them a 3 act piece, in the hopes that it will get used in its entirety for a trailer. When that happens, they can charge their top rate.

But you’re right, usually there are several tracks used in a trailer.

#10676 Reply
    music_pro
    Participant

Mark thanks for the info. Do you also provide alt mixes for those companies?
    And one more question if you don’t mind and its a little off topic, but what do you noticed the licence fee is after the split with the library you get most of the times?

Thanks.

#10677 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Do you also provide alt mixes for those companies?

Some of the companies I’ve worked with ask for very deep stems, i.e. practically every instrument on its own audio track, so that a top notch mixer can give it a pro mix. As you can imagine, it’s hours of work (listening back to each stem, naming it using a specific naming system for that client or mixer). Others that don’t hire a mixer still ask for each section stemmed out (strings, brass, synths, drums etc) in case years down the road a change is requested by an editor. I also provide alt mixes to these clients, like no choir, no drums, etc.

And one more question if you don’t mind and its a little off topic, but what do you noticed the licence fee is after the split with the library you get most of the times?

There’s a huge range in trailer music licensing, anywhere from $2K for a very short amount of music in a TV spot to $30K+ for a full length license for all media. It also depends on the company – they all have their own rates (at least in the US – the UK does things differently).
    Libraries that don’t pay their composers upfront typically give 40-60% (50% is most common) of the license fees.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Trailer Cue Length
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us