Alts, stings, bumpers……how to select ?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Alts, stings, bumpers……how to select ?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Krisemm
    Participant

What Im doing right now is repurposing about 300 tracks that were album tracks and significantly longer than anything a music library would accept.
    Im cutting them way down to 2 or 3 minutes, and throwing away anything that would never work for a music sup / music library.

I hear a lot of people talking about alts, stings and bumpers, and making 30second and 60 second tracks, and that they sell better than 2 or 3 minute tracks.

I have some questions….

1. what is a stinger
    2. what is a bumper
    3. when you make these or any of the 30 second / 60 second versions, are these derivatives of the main track, or do you deliberately sit down and say “ok, im gonna make something from scratch that only lasts 30 seconds”, or, do you just pick a 30 second segment of a track and fade in the start and fade out the ending ??

#27709 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #27711 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Krisemm. Good questions you are asking but most likely they have all been asked and answered many times before here. There are over 900 posts, 25,000 comments, 1700 topics and 13,000 replies. It’s all here somewhere, just takes some digging.

The search box in the upper right is your friend! 🙂 As an example, to find the link I posted above I searched for “alternate mixes”.

#27712 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

cheers Art, feel free to delete this then as Ive replied to that other post and sub’d to it. Thanks

#27713 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Ive been on many many forums Art, but this one is a bit bewildering to be honest. I cant find anything. sorry, but thats my first impression.

#27714 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I cant find anything. sorry, but thats my first impression.

No problem, organizing all this info is challenging. That’s the main reason I insist that questions about a particular library be posted in their listing. I also always try to make sure threads, in the forum, stay on topic. As I said, challenging!

#27715 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Krisemm,
    To echo Art, every question you have asked has been answered on this site dozens of times. Everyone here knows that. You really need to do your homework.
    Here are some hints to get you started:
    -This business is painfully slow. Expect to wait weeks or even several months for a track to be reviewed no matter where you send it. If you don’t have the patience for that, quit now.
    -Google is your friend, use it to ask your questions first.
    -Search through MANY libraries and see what they call bumpers, stings, alts etc.
    -Study what successful composers (like Art) do and copy. Find Art’s music at multiple libraries and study what he does. Then do the same with other writers.
    Indecently, everything I just wrote has been written before on this site…

#27716 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

It’s also helpful if your catalog covers a broad range of genres. 300 iterations of similar tracks will only have you competing against yourself.

#27719 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Fine Alan, I just won’t contribute to the forum at all then, since its all been said, and I won’t bother renewing my subscription since it can obviously all be found on google.

Only been here a week and tired of peoples cheek already. Manners are free.

#27720 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

Thanks Michael. Noted. I’ll do that =)

#27723 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

My apologies Krisemm. My post should have been worded better, I was on my first cup of coffee here on the U.S east coast 😉
    I meant use google to discover successful composers, define terminology your are not familiar with etc.
    I Googled “What is bumper music” and got this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_music

and “what is a musical stinger” and got

https://www.mediamusicnow.co.uk/information/glossary-of-music-production-terms/what-is-an-stinger-or-bumper.aspx
    Then search for stingers and bumpers on a few RF sites to see what pops up first. A track is worth a 1000 words.
    It will probably be much faster than asking and waiting for replies

This site is a treasure trove in info. You would be crazy to let a few negative comments from us turn you away. You also need to prepare yourself for rejections and no responses to your submissions too. Those can be very discouraging and tough to get used to. You just can’t give up.
    I will work on my manners.
    Cheers

#27724 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

My apologies also Alan, as it was early morning for me too. well, For me it was morning……for anyone else it was 2pm, but I stay up to 4 or 5 am making music when its quiet so Im justified.

Like I said, I’ve been on a lot of forums. I even ran my own phpbb forum once, but I find this forum very difficult to navigate because it seems all over the place. No offence to Art. Im sure its a difficult job to collate and arrange so much information, but there are just too many menus, and I’ve tried using that search bar up there twice, and both times it gave me no results. I typed pond5 in there, hit enter…..nothing.
    I went into libraries, and I think I checked 2 or 3 boxes, that were common things……no results.

So, if I asked here, thats why.

As for the negative responses, I’ve had those, but I know not to take it personally at all. They know nothing about me, and only know what they “need”, and I can always try again, so its only a speedbump in my mind for about 2 minutes. No matter what, just keep making the music. Thats how I see it.

#27730 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve tried using that search bar up there twice, and both times it gave me no results. I typed pond5 in there, hit enter…..nothing.

Not sure what you are talking about Krisemm. I just searched on Pond5, in the search box, and got 10 pages of results. I never have problems with using the search box. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to populate the search results.

Im sure its a difficult job to collate and arrange so much information, but there are just too many menus,

I’m always open to suggestions, if you think there is a better way. In the eight years of running MLR I have looked at a lot of them and have yet to find one, including phpBB.

#27736 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Art,since Krisemm mentioned it,i recently noticed search box doesn’t work for me either.
    It was working fine until a couple of months ago but then i got a new pc and since then the search box went dead.
    I was on Windows 7,using Chrome and it was working fine.
    Now i’m on Windows 10 and still using Chrome and the box doesn’t work.
    It does work on IE though,so it could be a Windows 10 or Chrome issue?
    I’m wondering which browser Krisemm uses.
    Sorry if i went off-topic!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Alts, stings, bumpers……how to select ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us